What's new

Word 2013 a complete disaster.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

What do you mean?

No matter which zoom mode I'm in, Word (and all other apps) look great, are completely legible, and there are no font issues, so I'm not exactly sure what you're seeing.

The fonts are very zagged compared to prior releases. I am looking at your screenshot on my 21.5 inch monitor and there is no font smoothing at all. As I linked above, ClearType font smoothing is no more in Office 2013.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, I just uninstalled Office 2013. Now how the hell do I get a fresh copy of Office 2010? Or just OneNote 2010 for that matter.

Nuspieds

The fonts are very zagged compared to prior releases. I am looking at your screenshot on my 21.5 inch monitor and there is no font smoothing at all. As I linked above, ClearType font smoothing is no more in Office 2013.
You know what? I believe you, but all I can tell you is that either I do not have the eagle eyes you have or I am not experiencing any font issues whatsoever--on my Surface Pro or external 30" Dell monitors. :)

All I can say is that everything looks great to me, without any pixel issues whatsoever.

Nuspieds

Ok, I just uninstalled Office 2013. Now how the hell do I get a fresh copy of Office 2010? Or just OneNote 2010 for that matter.
I'm sure you're gonna need luck on that one! :)

When in need of old/previous Microsoft software, I've always had to rely on luck. I hope you're successful.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I think I see what you are talking about in the screen shots and others may be missing it. Look at the "Home," "Insert," "Page Layout," and "Paste" and compare those to "File," "Edit," "View" and you can see that the first group appears to be a compressed image where there is sort of a fuzz and loss of sharpness just as when you compress a photo.

Edit: No fair, after looking back at the photos the first is a jpeg which would look that way (compressed) and the second is a png which should stay sharper.

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

I see everything in Matrix code.
Looks fine to me.

Matrix-code.jpg

tonyz3

I think I see what you are talking about in the screen shots and others may be missing it. Look at the "Home," "Insert," "Page Layout," and "Paste" and compare those to "File," "Edit," "View" and you can see that the first group appears to be a compressed image where there is sort of a fuzz and loss of sharpness just as when you compress a photo.

Edit: No fair, after looking back at the photos the first is a jpeg which would look that way (compressed) and the second is a png which should stay sharper.
yikes this is getting really crazy. It is all subjective. Like the others I don't see it but not saying it is not on Mich screen. I do remember when I first set up my Dell monitors I thought it should be clearer but after setting the ddc setting as well as running the lcd conditioning I have not looked back.:LOL:

FFX

What are you talking about, clear type is built in in Windows 8. You can calibrate it yourself in the Control panel.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

ClearType is built into Windows Desktop but not Metro and not Office 2013.

I just installed OneNote 2010 and ran it side by side with OneNote 2013. Its pretty obvious just by looking at the menus headings that OneNote 2013 has pretty much no antialiasing going on at all. I mean there are TONS of articles about this online. Office 2013 does not implement ClearType, period. It uses some new hybrid between ClearType and something much worse.

Buelligan

Wow Mitchell my eyes must be bad too. I found all the complaints you speak of and yes they did away with cleartype but I cannot see any difference on any of my monitors. 24" 1080HD included. I don't even really notice it in the screen caps you posted, both look the same to me. Maybe a slight difference but I cannot describe it as "horrible". I'm with the others, Your 2013 screen cap on my monitors looks fine, no difference at all, so weird. Very interesting hmm.

Buelligan

Thanks for the feedback guys. Don't know what is happening on your screens but on mine Word 2013 looks HORRIBLE and Word 2007 looks AWESOME. Here is a screen capture comparing the two. This on a 21.5 inch 1920 x 1080p IPS monitor.

View attachment 560
As you can see, Word 2013 looks pretty awful. Word 2007 is taking advantage of ClearType, Word 2013 is not.

I initially thought Access 2013 was ok but on second look it's just as bad. Here's a screen shot of Access 2013 on my monitor:

View attachment 561

Again the menu fonts are VERY jagged. No anti-aliasing at all.

Here is Access 2003. Very nice smooth fonts:

View attachment 562

Actually looking at this post, the 2007 looks way worse to me! I see lots of what appears to be JPEG artifacts around the menu bar items. Plus the "W" in the Window menu of Access 2003 seems more "jagged" than the "X" in External Data menu on the 2013. So yes I agree this is very strange.

I am not in any way saying you don't see what you are seeing, I am merely telling you that I do not see it here, I see the opposite. So that is just very strange. With all the complaints I'm sure there is some issue but it is not with every situation, so maybe there is a fix for those who have the "horrible" text you speak of.