What's new

Work is buying me a SP3 - So....

godson594

So...

I'll be able to do some comparisons of SP3 next to my SP2 and my Macbook Air... I also have an iPad 4, iPad mini w/retina and Dell Venue Pro 8 I can compare to if anyone wants...

I like the idea of the bigger screen, but I have some doubts that it will run as good with Solidworks because of the Resolution.

Maybe this screen wont squeak lol

OP
G

godson594

Cool, what kind of work/who do you work for? Curious what types of organizations are buying SP3s.

I work for a startup.

Well they buy everyone Macbooks but I cant stand osx for work... They would never buy surfaces lol, but I hate lugging my personal device to work every day.

Interesting, I'm interviewing at a startup that also uses Macs exclusively (and Google Apps, ugh). Maybe I can away them with a Surface as well if I join.

OP
G

godson594

Interesting, I'm interviewing at a startup that also uses Macs exclusively (and Google Apps, ugh). Maybe I can away them with a Surface as well if I join.

The last three startups I have been at have used macs. We use google docs where i'm at now and I dont mind it :)

What area are you from?

Zkyevolved

Why are all these startups using Macs? I have a MacBook and I find myself much slower in performing basic tasks than on windows. So after a few weeks I installed windows on it. Now I use it as a server as it's rather slow as a computer. I didn't come to start a fight but you guys are saying that these companies use Macs exclusively... strange for me to see that...

OP
G

godson594

Why are all these startups using Macs? I have a MacBook and I find myself much slower in performing basic tasks than on windows. So after a few weeks I installed windows on it. Now I use it as a server as it's rather slow as a computer. I didn't come to start a fight but you guys are saying that these companies use Macs exclusively... strange for me to see that...

I can only say hardware reliability... I hate osx to be honest, but I also work in a place that requires some devs to use xcode... So you are pretty much screwed of you are an ios dev.

Macbook airs have decent specs and displayport out for around 1k.... I had a hard time finding similar specced Windows machines.

olimjj

Why are all these startups using Macs? I have a MacBook and I find myself much slower in performing basic tasks than on windows. So after a few weeks I installed with ndows on it. Now I use it as a server as it's rather slow as a computer. I didn't come to start a fight but you guys are saying that these companies use Macs exclusively... strange for me to see that...

You do know that Apple Headquarters is located in Cupertino, which is in the Silicon Valley where the OP lists his location. If the startups mentioned were located there, Apple provides a large incentive to use their Hardware.

All the startups I'm looking at are in the Bay Area. It's its own microcosm for sure...Macs are the fly thing to have, and necessary for iOS dev apparently.