What's new

work & watch w/Wireless display adapter

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the record, there is nothing wrong with using a WDA to watch movies and never have I said there was. But reread the first two sentences in the OP to see what their original quandary was. A WDA solved their situation. However, that is not the only way to do so. Why are you denying other people's choice to try other methods?

Where am i denying him a choice? He already has a WDA. This is not a "what is the best option" or "what options are available" thread, this is simply a thread stating he had a requirement, and the WDA fulfilled it. Noone is saying that DLNA doesn't work, because this thread is not about DLNA. I am glad he started this thread giving an users opinion of the WDA.

ChrisPanzer

There are some drawbacks, however, particularly one that audiophiles shan't be too pleased with; as there is no way to connect via soundbar/receiver, the audio will be pumped straight out of the TV; making for some poor-quality sound for the poorer souls out there =)

Also, playing high-bitrate samples can lead to some pixelation/distortion/artifacts on the screen during playback, but, other than that, it's pretty cool. Nice to also gather the family around the TV and look at some family albums, baby photos, etc. (like me!)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are some drawbacks, however, particularly one that audiophiles shan't be too pleased with; as there is no way to connect via soundbar/receiver, the audio will be pumped straight out of the TV; making for some poor-quality sound for the poorer souls out there =)

Also, playing high-bitrate samples can lead to some pixelation/distortion/artifacts on the screen during playback, but, other than that, it's pretty cool. Nice to also gather the family around the TV and look at some family albums, baby photos, etc. (like me!)

Hmm. You say no way to connect an external speaker system, yet every HDTV i have had over the past 5 years (only 3, newest one was bought last month) have had audio output capabilities. Is ther some magic at work that disables the abilty to output audio from the TV to a receiver or soundbar?

As you say though, it's a great way to get the family involved. I had so many films for the family to watch over christmas that i just couldn't get onto the tv using cables (my sp3 for some reason pretty much refuses to connect to any screen via HDMI).

nipponham

Where am i denying him a choice? He already has a WDA. This is not a "what is the best option" or "what options are available" thread, this is simply a thread stating he had a requirement, and the WDA fulfilled it. Noone is saying that DLNA doesn't work, because this thread is not about DLNA. I am glad he started this thread giving an users opinion of the WDA.
Excuse me, but who anointed you to be the decider of what can and cannot be discussed in a thread and with what authority do you do so? The very fact that you insist on narrowly limiting the scope of this thread denies other people the freedom to discuss other methods and make choices that everyone is entitled to. What is so wrong about not using a WDA to watch movies that makes you want to censor other methods?

nipponham

Hmm. You say no way to connect an external speaker system, yet every HDTV i have had over the past 5 years (only 3, newest one was bought last month) have had audio output capabilities. Is ther some magic at work that disables the abilty to output audio from the TV to a receiver or soundbar?

As you say though, it's a great way to get the family involved. I had so many films for the family to watch over christmas that i just couldn't get onto the tv using cables (my sp3 for some reason pretty much refuses to connect to any screen via HDMI).
Reread his post. He didn’t say you can’t get sound from a receiver through a TV; he said the sound would be poorer and of lower quality. That’s because many TV cannot do audio passthrough and discrete channels would get downgraded to 2.0ch or 2.1ch. (Many Sony Bravias can, however.)

Audio (and video) fidelity problems could be overcome by connecting SP3 directly to the receiver/soundbar via HDMI, but this probably wouldn’t interest you since you don't get to use your beloved WDA.

ChrisPanzer

Reread his post. He didn’t say you can’t get sound from a receiver through a TV; he said the sound would be poorer and of lower quality. That’s because many TV cannot do audio passthrough and discrete channels would get downgraded to 2.0ch or 2.1ch. (Many Sony Bravias can, however.)

Audio (and video) fidelity problems could be overcome by connecting SP3 directly to the receiver/soundbar via HDMI, but this probably wouldn’t interest you since you don't get to use your beloved WDA.
Thanks for saving me the effort, Nips. I was about to give him a blasting but you o'so eloquently did it better ;-)

ChrisPanzer

Hugh's posts always seem to be very aggressive/demeaning/condescending towards folks. Having a bad month, Hughie?

We're all on the same team here man, cmon, let's all hold hands and sing kombaya, mmkay? Yeah, that'd be great.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I appologise if i come of that way. I was genuinely asking, as i have always had the ability to output the sound from my televisions to my receiver.

And yes, I am having a bad month, living in the dump that is London has this effect on me.

In fairness, I'm hardly the only one coming off as possibly aggressive or demeaning though, i'm not the only bad guy here. You have no issue stooping to that level it seems. Only my dad get's to call me Hughie :p

And FYI, i don't have any form of wireless dongle or whatnot. Hence my interest in this thread, which rapidly just became "why bother with WDA" and upon receiving an answer, tried to argue against it some more.

ChrisPanzer

I appologise if i come of that way. I was genuinely asking, as i have always had the ability to output the sound from my televisions to my receiver.

And yes, I am having a bad month, living in the dump that is London has this effect on me.

In fairness, I'm hardly the only one coming off as possibly aggressive or demeaning though, i'm not the only bad guy here. You have no issue stooping to that level it seems. Only my dad get's to call me Hughie :p

And FYI, i don't have any form of wireless dongle or whatnot. Hence my interest in this thread, which rapidly just became "why bother with WDA" and upon receiving an answer, tried to argue against it some more.
OMG, FFS mate, why didn't u just say you were British?? That explains everything...
;-)

And as far as stooping goes, yes, you're quite right, I have absolutely no issue with plunging to the deepest depths of cess imaginable.

Nuspieds

OP did not mention wanting to "project" (as you call it) something to a monitor. They wanted to watch a movie and work on SP3 at the same time. Snap allows you to have two windows on the same screen so you can watch a movie on one half while working on something on the other.
1) Charms Menu > Devices > Project
2)
...Connected to the MS Wireless Display Adapter plugged into my TV. Then configured to "extend" the display to the TV, such that it and my Surface screen were separated...

Nuspieds

:confused:...got caught up and read all posts and I couldn't find any of your posts in this thread that warranted any sort of an apology. You were civil and polite, even after being judged as the "anointed decider" just because you stated your understanding of the purpose of the original post. ;)

We all benefit when we civilly and politely disagree and share our opposing views/questions, just as you did.