What's new

work & watch w/Wireless display adapter

mtalinm

Maybe this is obvious to everyone, but it wasn't to me & was very cool.

I wanted to watch a movie but needed to get some work done too. Connected to the MS Wireless Display Adapter plugged into my TV. Then configured to "extend" the display to the TV, such that it and my Surface screen were separated. Proceeding to hack away on my Surface while watching the movie on my TV. Pretty cool.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
does the MS wireless display need a router like chromecast, or is it more like miracast? I don't have a router, let alone a slow one, let alone a 5ghz one, so i'm stuck with miracast type options that create their own network.

r0b123

Yup, its direct connection via Miracast / wifi protocol, so no router needed. Using the Microsoft WDA has proven very useful as I do the tv watching and surfing net constantly. :) On occasion though depending on the website or how many tabs I have open, it will start to lag a bit. I remedy this by closing any unnecessary apps and windows.

nipponham

That doesn't explain why a WDA is needed. Unless the movie is only on SP3... But even then, snap function would solve that.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That doesn't explain why a WDA is needed. Unless the movie is only on SP3... But even then, snap function would solve that.

Because the movie is on the sp3. And the sp3 screen is small enogh already, i'd like to keep that for work, i have a television for a reason, and it's not tv, don't have an arial, it's not netflix, no chance i'm wasting money on that, and also requires internet etc. I have a tv so i can play films on it from my computer.

Essentially you are questioning why anyone would ever use a multiple display setup. We do so for a reason, and the ability to do it wirelessly is just another bonus if it works with your usage case, e.g. not for gaming.

Wireless display technology, be it miracast, chromecast, whatever, people want it, and just because you don't, does not mean that there is no use case for other people.