What's new

work & watch w/Wireless display adapter

Nuspieds

How does snap solve
It doesn't.

Snap is when you want to run to apps side-by-side on the same screen; it's not for your Use Case where you want to project content onto your TV/second monitor while using your Surface screen for other purposes.

nipponham

...Essentially you are questioning why anyone would ever use a multiple display setup. We do so for a reason, and the ability to do it wirelessly is just another bonus if it works with your usage case, e.g. not for gaming.

Wireless display technology, be it miracast, chromecast, whatever, people want it, and just because you don't, does not mean that there is no use case for other people.
I am not questioning the need for WDAs. I use one myself. The question was why is one necessary to watch a movie on TV and work on SP3 at the same time. I can stream to TV using DLNA and work on SP3 at the same time. At no time does a WDA come into play.

nipponham

...Snap is when you want to run to apps side-by-side on the same screen; it's not for your Use Case where you want to project content onto your TV/second monitor while using your Surface screen for other purposes.
OP did not mention wanting to "project" (as you call it) something to a monitor. They wanted to watch a movie and work on SP3 at the same time. Snap allows you to have two windows on the same screen so you can watch a movie on one half while working on something on the other.

mohcho

I tried streaming a video through the WDA and the audio/video sync was off. It wasn't even a HD file too. Anyone run into this as well?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tried streaming a video through the WDA and the audio/video sync was off. It wasn't even a HD file too. Anyone run into this as well?
Works fine on mine, I'm using 5GHz AC for WiFi and no Bluetooth devices...the WDA typically connects on peer to peer on 2.4GHz, I get some tearing but that is due to Windows 10.

silkrooster

Last time I tried it I was able to play an HD movie onto the TV with little to no defects. I did spot a defect once or twice, but I assume the bandwidth dropped for some reason and it lasted maybe a frame or two. Just enough to spot it.
Apparently sometime before I tried it the device was updated as I was previously getting a lot of defects.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not questioning the need for WDAs. I use one myself. The question was why is one necessary to watch a movie on TV and work on SP3 at the same time. I can stream to TV using DLNA and work on SP3 at the same time. At no time does a WDA come into play.

You can stream via DLNA, I can't. So WDA has a purpose.

I don't understand your issue here. The OP used WDA and was able to do what he needed to do, hence the thread. There was most likely a reason for him doing it this way. It is exactly the same for me, WDA would be great for watching films on my tv and working on the sp3. You can do things your way, what is wrong with people doing things their way?

nipponham

It seems that you're still not getting it so allow me to put it to you differently...

Why do you insist that WDA is the only way to achieve what the OP wanted to do? Maybe you can't stream via DLNA so you need to use one, but I don't. So WDA isn't a necessity. Some people use other methods to get SP3 content on a separate monitor without using a WDA. It is exactly the same for me. These other methods, which include DLNA, WiDi, and a wired connection, would be great for watching films on my TV and working on SP3. You can do things your way, what is wrong with people doing things their way?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems that you're still not getting it so allow me to put it to you differently...

Why do you insist that WDA is the only way to achieve what the OP wanted to do? Maybe you can't stream via DLNA so you need to use one, but I don't. So WDA isn't a necessity. Some people use other methods to get SP3 content on a separate monitor without using a WDA. It is exactly the same for me. These other methods, which include DLNA, WiDi, and a wired connection, would be great for watching films on my TV and working on SP3. You can do things your way, what is wrong with people doing things their way?

I fully understand what you are saying.

The OP created this thread to state that he has used the WDA successfully. I have never, nor has anyone else, stated that this is the only way to put a movie onto a tv from your SP3, but this thread is about using the WDA to do so. Why do you have such an issue with this? I have absolutely no issue with you doing things your way, but this thread is about the WDA, not DLNA or WiDi or HDMI cables. The OP felt a requirement for the WDA, and experienced success when using it. What is the issue?

mohcho

Works fine on mine, I'm using 5GHz AC for WiFi and no Bluetooth devices...the WDA typically connects on peer to peer on 2.4GHz, I get some tearing but that is due to Windows 10.

Hmm... I'll have to try it again. I have a course that I'm leading that has a video session that I would like to have display without having the SP3 right next to the projector. Think the version of the Intel video driver on the SP3 might cause the issues? I'm on 10.18.10.3496.

nipponham

I fully understand what you are saying.

The OP created this thread to state that he has used the WDA successfully. I have never, nor has anyone else, stated that this is the only way to put a movie onto a tv from your SP3, but this thread is about using the WDA to do so. Why do you have such an issue with this? I have absolutely no issue with you doing things your way, but this thread is about the WDA, not DLNA or WiDi or HDMI cables. The OP felt a requirement for the WDA, and experienced success when using it. What is the issue?
For the record, there is nothing wrong with using a WDA to watch movies and never have I said there was. But reread the first two sentences in the OP to see what their original quandary was. A WDA solved their situation. However, that is not the only way to do so. Why are you denying other people's choice to try other methods?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... I'll have to try it again. I have a course that I'm leading that has a video session that I would like to have display without having the SP3 right next to the projector. Think the version of the Intel video driver on the SP3 might cause the issues? I'm on 10.18.10.3496.
When I was on Windows 8.1 one of the Intel Reference Drivers (October IIRC) would only allow 720p on the external monitor using the WDA....so yes the video driver can impact performance. I installed the January Intel Driver on my 8.1 SP3 last night and it seems stable, but I need to see what impact it has on battery life.