What's new

Working with GMail?

julian_t

How do people work with GMail on the Surface RT? There doesn't seem to be a GMail app yet, and going in through the web interface in IE seems not to work too well: I can sign in and read messages, but trying to reply just results in a blank page in IE.

Any hints welcomed!

jt

kristalsoldier

How do people work with GMail on the Surface RT? There doesn't seem to be a GMail app yet, and going in through the web interface in IE seems not to work too well: I can sign in and read messages, but trying to reply just results in a blank page in IE.

Any hints welcomed!

jt

Strange! I almost always have a tab opened in the Modern UI version of IE opened with Gmail and composing messages and reading mail seems to work fine. Yes, a Gmail app would be excellent, but...

absinthEx

Any hints welcomed!

jt
The built in mail app lets you add numerous email accounts that all share the same UI. I have an exchange, two Gmail and two live accounts running through that one app.
To get there just simply tap on the mail icon, once it loads bring up your charm bar (swipe right side of the screen), tap on settings, tap on accounts then add an account. Note that I haven't and I don't think anyone else has gotten their calendar or contacts to sync from there Google account, yet. So when that option comes up, leave it unchecked.

kristalsoldier

The built in mail app lets you add numerous email accounts that all share the same UI. I have an exchange, two Gmail and two live accounts running through that one app.
To get there just simply tap on the mail icon, once it loads bring up your charm bar (swipe right side of the screen), tap on settings, tap on accounts then add an account. Note that I haven't and I don't think anyone else has gotten their calendar or contacts to sync from there Google account, yet. So when that option comes up, leave it unchecked.

I am still at the stage of getting my mail migrated from Gmail to Outlook (unfortunately, like an idiot, I opted for the (free) Trueswitch service). And, I am still waiting!

bosamar

I am still at the stage of getting my mail migrated from Gmail to Outlook (unfortunately, like an idiot, I opted for the (free) Trueswitch service). And, I am still waiting!

Once you are settled with Outlook.com I'd like to know your thoughts about it on the RT. I'm thinking it might be a better option than the email app.

kristalsoldier

Once you are settled with Outlook.com I'd like to know your thoughts about it on the RT. I'm thinking it might be a better option than the email app.

Sure. But first Trueswitch has got to do its thing. I'll wait for two more days and then will just interrupt/ cancel the migration. And, since we are on the topic, perhaps ypu could help me out with one point. Assuming I interrupt the Trueswitch migration process, how do I get all my mail into Outlook.com? Should I just set up the connection between Gmail and Outlook as a POP3 arrangement? I also have my workplace email connected to Gmail. Can I follow the same or similar process to Outlook.com. Lastly, assuming that all this can be done without any major issues, can I just have the Mail app set up in such a way that it works directly with the Outlook.com accoubt? Thanks in advance for your help.

kristalsoldier

Well, Trueswitch did transfer my mails but it was not a seamless transfer. So, I scrapped it. In effect, therefore, I have not moved my mails from my Gmail account to Outlook.com What I have done, however, is to move my work mails to the mail app on the RT. As of now it works well - can't complain. still pretty basic, but at least it works without any major hiccups. On the other hand, I have started using Outlook.com to communicate with my contacts. But this is still, at best, a half-hearted measure. I could have linked the Gmail account to Outlook.com, but have not yet done so. On the whole, though, I find Outlook.com to be a much cleaner experience than Gmail.

Specifically on the RT, I pinned the Outlook.com site to the Start screen and it works but I think a dedicated app would be best. I am hopeful that this will come about soon enough because when I am on the Outlook.com site and I right-click, in the buttons for Tools (I think) there is an option which says "Get an app for this site" though it is still inoperative. Now, that would be cool!