What's new

Worried About Your Touch Cover Cracking?

pallentx

Since seeing some reports online of touch covers cracking, I've been afraid of using my Surface in slate mode with the cover folded back. I just figured out that you can attach the keyboard backwards and fold it around. This way, the touch cover is bent in the nomad way while you aren't using it.

OP
P

pallentx

ok, nevermind. seems like this might cause erratic behavior with the on-screen keyboard. Or, maybe it's just this message board...

Yeah, it appears to just be this forum's text box. Other sites and apps are fine and I still have the erratic behavior with the touch cover completely removed.

Last edited:
OP
P

pallentx

oh nice!

So yeah, if you want to leave the cover connected, just flip it around and it wont be stressed.
Looking at some of the photos and how my own is holding up, it appears that it isn't cracking, but a little flap of material is coming untucked from under the piece where it joins. If it happens to you and warranty replacement is not an option, you might be able to gently tuck it back in with a tiny dab of glue and fix it permanently.

ArnoldC

I don't bend my Touch Cover backwards as a preventive measure. Oh, I'm loving it day by day. I found i can type much faster with the least pressure applied to the keys. Really nice.

R0bR

My keyboard has been attached since I bought it 2nd week of November and when I don't use the keyboard it is always folded back. So far I haven't noticed any issues with mine and it's not showing any signs of stress but I do keep an eye on it.

I've been using my Surface with the touch cover daily since October with no signs of wear or tearing. I often fold the cover all the way back and use the touch screen. No problems so far. I did purchase the extended warranty, so I should be OK for the next couple of years and given my past history, I'll probably have moved on the another device (Surface2?) by then.

compnovo

I've been using my Surface with the touch cover daily since October with no signs of wear or tearing. I often fold the cover all the way back and use the touch screen. No problems so far. I did purchase the extended warranty, so I should be OK for the next couple of years and given my past history, I'll probably have moved on the another device (Surface2?) by then.

Same here, I just use it as intended. I briefly tried taking the touch cover off when in "tablet mode" but found I liked the grip better with the cover on, less chance of dropping it. I have the black, stock cover and it's been trouble-free.

(and I, too, got the extended warranty, just to be on the safe side...)