What's new

Worth waiting for SB2?

Adamski

Hey all,

I'm an SP3 user at the moment and, quite seriously, I love everything about it... With one exception: most of the time when I use my SP3, I'm out and about as opposed to being at a desk, and as a result the kickstand can be a huge obstacle. I either end up with it resting on my legs, and require my leg to be at odd angles to balance the stand, or I end up giving up and doing something else.

As a software developer, computing on the move is important to me and I enjoy the Surface experience. Consequently, I'm seriously contemplating the Surface Book. It's a huge investment, and I expect to have it for at least two or three years if I commit, but the price of it is extraordinary. Considering that the SP3 isn't broken or anything, it's just less usable than I would like, is it worth justifying the expense? I consider that I have three options:
  • Abuse the credit card, get an SB, sell the SP3 and pay off some of the cost of the SB
  • If I'm prepared to spend that much, wait until the SB2 (somewhere between September and Q1 2017, depending on who you believe) and buy one of those
  • Wait until the SB2 comes out and use the opportunity to get a cheaper SB1.
Opinions, please?

Adam

brandonsurf

I would say wait. I've just experience too much flakiness with mine & I have the top of the line one. If it ran w/out glitches or flakiness, it would be a great machine.

tkmmusician

I've had the Surface 2 RT, SP3, SP4, and now the SB. Mine has not been flaky at all; quite the contrary, I'm really happy with it and sold the SP4 and a touchscreen AIO to pay for it (I got the 8gb/256 model). All good here. At any rate, what do we really know about SB2 regarding features, release date, etc? I'd say, bird in the hand. Get it now. If the release date were a few weeks off I might say wait.

brandonsurf

I've had the Surface 2 RT, SP3, SP4, and now the SB. Mine has not been flaky at all; quite the contrary, I'm really happy with it and sold the SP4 and a touchscreen AIO to pay for it (I got the 8gb/256 model). All good here. At any rate, what do we really know about SB2 regarding features, release date, etc? I'd say, bird in the hand. Get it now. If the release date were a few weeks off I might say wait.
I wish that was the case. it probably depends on how people are using it and their needs. If you were not a power user, perhaps it is a good unit. I get some blue screens occasionally, display crashes, and weird stuff all the time.

leeshor

Though I don't own a Surface Book I ate lunch last week with an IT director who has deployed several Surface Books along with SP3s and SP4s and he says what few problems he was having when initially deployed, (months ago), have pretty much gone away and he was using his SB i7 while we were having lunch, (he's never really off duty).

Nearly all the Surface devices they have, now around 30 or so, are all workhorses, most running, (especially the Books), CAD applications along with Office on an Exchange Server.

You'll also find several member of this forum who have had no recent major issues. Everyone will have a different experience depending on your configuration and the apps you use.

If you are having problems with the SB now and they came out with the SB2 tomorrow you would probably be experiencing the same issues. Some related to the dGPU and some related to Skylake, where nearly all have been corrected with stock updates or Insider updates which everyone will be getting soon.

TimberWolf

If you are planning on using it strictly as a laptop, it isn't bad. But if all you want is a laptop, there are several choices that are cheaper and/or lighter. If you want to use it as a convertible, good luck. I say wait for version 2.

Adambomb13

Wait, I like the Surfacebook (i7,16GB,256GB) NOW after being a beta tester for $2400. I will not buy another Microsoft Surface again. Im disappointed

When reading this forum, I have the impression I am the only one happy with this machine. I have been using it extensively for one month (work and private) and no issue, I just enjoy it every day. This machine is unique on the market.
I am not working for Microsoft neither for Linkedin :)

leeshor

When reading this forum, I have the impression I am the only one happy with this machine. I have been using it extensively for one month (work and private) and no issue, I just enjoy it every day. This machine is unique on the market.
I am not working for Microsoft neither for Linkedin :)
You are not alone. This is the place most people come if they ARE having problems. I know one company in Atlanta that now has a dozen Surface Books and they are all working well. A few people on this forum also aren't having any significant issues either.

compnovo

You are not alone. This is the place most people come if they ARE having problems. I know one company in Atlanta that now has a dozen Surface Books and they are all working well. A few people on this forum also aren't having any significant issues either.
I'm one of those not having any significant issues. Sleep is still weird so I hibernate instead, but other than that I've been very pleased with the device.