What's new

Would not power on, tried it all... and today it did but now I'm worried...

seanmckennatech

First of all, hi! This is my first post here, yes I used the search and could not find this exact situation. I'm trying to convert back to windows from Mac and would love to get this out there. I bought my SP3 used from Swappa on the 6th. Loving it. Yesterday after I finished working on a website I closed the keyboard put in my bag and went home. When I wanted to watch youtube when I was home it would not power on. So even though I thought I had battery I charged it. After an hour I tapped the power button and the lock screen came up, I walked away without unlocking it and came right back and nothing. Keyboard would not light up, but the charging light on the cable lights up. I searched here and did allllll the button presses and almost the freezer. So after hours of troubleshooting I decided to just let it be. This morning still nothing, until an hour ago and it just came back on.

So as I'm typing debating on sending this out of warranty device back I wanted to ask this. Here are some settings I turned on recently that may have affected this?

1. "Save me power when device knows I'm away"
Could this be the culprit? Did it just not realize I wanted to use it? What is this anyway?

2. "Battery saver status until next charge"

So now it's up and running I turned those off. I do have a few errors in the event log around the time and during all my attempts to turn on

I have a bunch of Kernel-Processor-Power (Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power) Errors:
The speed of processor 3 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

Installation of the Proof of Purchase from the ACPI table failed. Error code:
0xC004E016

[ Name] volmgr
- EventID 46

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid]
EventID 41

There is a whole lot more but I don't know what a lot means so if I anyone can point me in a good direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks! And if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry, I'm just in a hurry and kinda freaking out since I bought it used.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, @seanmckennatech

Let's get you fixed up. It is unlikely to be a hardware issue despite those reports.

What version of Windows 10 are you running? (Settings, System, About, Edition and Version).

If this happens again, do a cold reboot (Solution 4 of Surface won't turn on), or the hotkeys which you may have already tried (Solution 2 of Surface won't turn on).

What sometimes happens is that a user updates the software/firmware on a Surface, and then does not allow it to restart AFTER it is either plugged into power, or has sufficient battery life, and/or the Surface must be restarted more than once (multi-step updates, especially of firmware).

You may have been caught in this effect.

- - -

The "Save me power when device knows I'm away" is an attempt at artificial intelligence when your Surface is in Connected Standby mode only. Because this mode draws power, the Surface tries to detect a lack of activity (movement/rotation, taps, key presses) and reduces power a bit more, but leaving you in Connected Standby mode. Resuming computing from this lower power state takes longer, and so is only desirable when you are indeed away for awhile.

Keep us informed about this issue, please. We are here to help.

OP
seanmckennatech

seanmckennatech

Hi, @seanmckennatech

Let's get you fixed up. It is unlikely to be a hardware issue despite those reports.

What version of Windows 10 are you running? (Settings, System, About, Edition and Version).

If this happens again, do a cold reboot (Solution 4 of Surface won't turn on), or the hotkeys which you may have already tried (Solution 2 of Surface won't turn on).

What sometimes happens is that a user updates the software/firmware on a Surface, and then does not allow it to restart AFTER it is either plugged into power, or has sufficient battery life, and/or the Surface must be restarted more than once (multi-step updates, especially of firmware).

You may have been caught in this effect.

- - -

The "Save me power when device knows I'm away" is an attempt at artificial intelligence when your Surface is in Connected Standby mode only. Because this mode draws power, the Surface tries to detect a lack of activity (movement/rotation, taps, key presses) and reduces power a bit more, but leaving you in Connected Standby mode. Resuming computing from this lower power state takes longer, and so is only desirable when you are indeed away for awhile.

Keep us informed about this issue, please. We are here to help.

Thanks so much for the reply @sharpuser ! It's nice to join a forum and not get yelled at for posting haha.

I am on Windows 10 Pro. Version 1607.

I did try both of those steps you shared with me to no avail. When I last used to Surface it was around 40% at 4:15pm and the next attempt to use it was around 6:30pm. I attempted to use the computer all the way until 11pm trying different things with it randomly going to the lock screen once and showing me the surface logo twice. But when I let it sleep I just kept trying things. The logs I do believe show the hard resets I was doing so I guess those were working.

So you think I was possibly in an update boot loop and was really just confusing it possibly? I know when it came on the one time it was at 92% because I checked to make sure it wasn't dead.

I bought this used, with a SP4 Keyboard, SP3 pen, charger and bag for $550, really good deal for a 256/8gb. But I have no warranty. My thoughts right now are to possibly return this one and buy a refurb from Microsoft for $599 and just buy the keyboard later. I can't afford this to be a paper weight haha. It's been working fine all day today and I'm going to let it die all the way to 0%. I'm typing on it right now actually. I appreciate your help, and I hope this will continue to be my Photoshop machine!

kundas1

its probably nothing, sometimes the computer is on but the screen doesn't turn on from sleep mode but your computer is indeed on... all you have to do is the 2 button reset and you will be fine. to see if that's the case next time that happens press the windows logo to see if it vibrates, if it does and there is no screen on then its a sleep to wake problem. I would recommend you do all updates as the updates fix this sleep to wake problem.

OP
seanmckennatech

seanmckennatech

Thanks everyone, it has been a couple of weeks and it seems ok. I never turned any of those settings back on either. Thank you all for your help!

OP
seanmckennatech

seanmckennatech

So can I open this back up? The damn thing died again and now REALLY won't turn on. Microsoft is saying it's hardware but won't tell me what it may be. I'd rather attempt to fix it before paying $450 to replace it.