What's new

Would this work with the Surface 2?

kundas1

Obviously they would have to release the specific drivers for the Surface2, so no I don't think so... BUT you never know as some things I thought wouldn't work, DO... so you never know

wditters

The Surface RT and 2 unfortunately have a proprietary Windows version and do not support real Windows drivers.

The Surface Pro and Pro 2 however not only have a full Windows OS and support Wacom tablets via the USB port. The Pro and Pro 2 however can also be used as a Wacom tablet themselves. All it takes is installing the correct Wacom driver.

These are the correct Wacom drivers to use for this. Among others they add pressure sensitivity ...

Wacom Feel Driver | Wacom Americas

Last edited:
OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

The Surface RT and 2 unfortunately have a proprietary Windows version and do not support real Windows drivers.

The Surface Pro and Pro 2 however not only have a full Windows OS and support Wacom tablets via the USB port. The Pro and Pro 2 however can also be used as a Wacom tablet themselves. All it takes is installing the correct Wacom driver.

These are the correct Wacom drivers to use for this. Among others they add pressure sensitivity ...

Wacom Feel Driver | Wacom Americas

Thanks. Good to know. Unfortunately, I have the Surface 2 (which is a RT-based device), which also means that none of the above would work. I think this is one of the major issues I have with the Surface 2 and why I am tending to look favourably at the Surface Pro 3 as and when it is released.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Kristal are you wanting to take ink notes or do artwork? I'm waiting on the LYNKtec TruGlide Apex Stylus to be delivered which uses a battery to create the capacitive circuit, I'm hoping that it will give a decent inking experience on my Surface 2. I will report back.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Kristal are you wanting to take ink notes or do artwork? I'm waiting on the LYNKtec TruGlide Apex Stylus to be delivered which uses a battery to create the capacitive circuit, I'm hoping that it will give a decent inking experience on my Surface 2. I will report back.

I want to do art work - basically something like pencil drawing which I can then import into Word.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Artwork works pretty well in the Modern UI Art Programs like Sketchbook or FreshPaint with a Capacitive Stylus.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Artwork works pretty well in the Modern UI Art Programs like Sketchbook or FreshPaint with a Capacitive Stylus.

Not really...I'm looking to do fine pencil drawing - freehand, but intricate stuff, which requires a lot of control. And, I am loathed to use the Adonit Jot stylus because I really don't want to scratch the screen of the Surface 2 (or of my iPad Air for that matter).

oion

Yeah, the standard capacitive nubby pens are impossible for "real" art, especially if you're trying to emulate pencil, which gives more detail than ink and certainly paint. Get a Surface Pro.x.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Not really...I'm looking to do fine pencil drawing - freehand, but intricate stuff, which requires a lot of control. And, I am loathed to use the Adonit Jot stylus because I really don't want to scratch the screen of the Surface 2 (or of my iPad Air for that matter).

I'll report back one I test the TruGlide Apex...