What's new

Would this work with the Surface 2?

gabe406

Thanks. I look forward to your experience using the Apex.

I too would really like and look forward to the Apex review. It looks like a real nice pen. How did you find out that the Apex is Surface compatible. If it is I just might jump the gun and buy it.

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry all...

I talked about the Apex TrueGlide in another thread and the results were less than stellar, the current overwhelmed the Surface's Capacitive Layer and inking was very erratic. I'm getting the best results with the Wacom Bamboo Capacitive Stylus, it would seem that the Surface 2's screen is tuned to work really well with the rubber tipped stylus.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Sorry all...

I talked about the Apex TrueGlide in another thread and the results were less than stellar, the current overwhelmed the Surface's Capacitive Layer and inking was very erratic. I'm getting the best results with the Wacom Bamboo Capacitive Stylus, it would seem that the Surface 2's screen is tuned to work really well with the rubber tipped stylus.

Thanks. This is what I really feared, which also means that it is very likely that the new version of the Surface Pro is going to be my choice in the near future....now , when is it again that MS is supposed to release the Surface Pro3?

Btw, I think this year is probably going to be the worst time to buy the updated Pro and RT versions. I am thinking along these lines because of the impending release of Win 9 (or whatever they call it). On the other hand, I wonder, how different could Win 9 aside from the UI changes. I just hope the Surface Pro 3, as and when released, is thinner, but more importantly, lighter than its current iteration.

Edit: Jeff - relying on you here to provide insights as to the new hardware releases!!!!! Thanks in advance!

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Rumor is we may see the Surface MINI shortly, also rumored is Pen Support also running RT. I have no inside info on this outside what was said last September during the launch and Redditt Q&A....

Surface mini: A few more details about the upcoming device - Neowin

But these are the types of leaks that the Surface Team has done in the past to generate some buzz prior to shipping...

Hmmm...thanks. But this pen support would be post-facto in terms of our Surface 2 devices because of the screens, right? But it could mean that the capability may be included in the Surface 3 (RT) in the future.

On the same note, I have been reading a rather interesting thread on Surface Pro 3 possibilities on Tablet Reviews and the consensus there seems to be that the real bump in the Pro would come after April 2015, that is, after Win 9 drops. Sounds logical - I guess.

I wonder how different Win 9 would be and how it would impact today's devices in terms of power consumption.

Also, any idea as to when MS will start talking about the new machines - Surface RT and Pro - for this year (if any)?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on how the pen is implemented on the Surface MINI, if they enable NVIDIA's DirectStylus Support that is in the Tegra4 then that could be back ported to the Surface 2, if they use the Wacom Feel Digitizer (the same as the Pro, Pro 2) it would be specific to the MINI.

Windows 9 (AKA Threshold) is rumored to be the unifying of the OS's

Windows 9 Enterprise (x86/x64) Requires a Volume License with Software Assurance - Updated every 3 years

Windows 9 Professional (x86/x64) Designed for traditional Computing on screens 10" or larger includes desktop (Will be a paid SKU) - Updated Yearly

Windows - (One SKU for Phones, Tablets and consumer PCs) Modern UI Only (free for devices with 9" or smaller screens) - Updated Yearly

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

It depends on how the pen is implemented on the Surface MINI, if they enable NVIDIA's DirectStylus Support that is in the Tegra4 then that could be back ported to the Surface 2, if they use the Wacom Feel Digitizer (the same as the Pro, Pro 2) it would be specific to the MINI.

Windows 9 (AKA Threshold) is rumored to be the unifying of the OS's

Windows 9 Enterprise (x86/x64) Requires a Volume License with Software Assurance - Updated every 3 years

Windows 9 Professional (x86/x64) Designed for traditional Computing on screens 10" or larger includes desktop (Will be a paid SKU) - Updated Yearly

Windows - (One SKU for Phones, Tablets and consumer PCs) Modern UI Only (free for devices with 9" or smaller screens) - Updated Yearly

OK. So how does that translate to our existing Surface 2 devices? Does this mean that we will have to buy Win 9 (unified OS - possibly via the app store)?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that all Surface RT SKUs will be upgraded to the next version of Windows (RT) (as it is a vehicle at this point) for the 5 years of support that MS committed to. As far as new Surface Devices are concerned, Windows 9 isn't a factor as they can be easily updated to the latest, it is compelling hardware advances and availability, i.e. - Broadwell for the Pro Line and the TegraK1 for the RT line, both will have DirectX 12 support and 802.11AC Support.

I think we'll see the Surface MINI available between now and June and the Pro 3 and Surface 3 available in the Fall about the time Update 2 and Office Gemini becomes available.