What's new

Would you convert to an iPad Pro and replace your SP3?

Would you convert to an iPad Pro in place of your SP3?

• Yes

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No

Votes: 55 96.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spinachpie

If the iPad Pro were announced and had similar specs, size and price to your SP3, would you go for the iPad Pro?

I just finished watching the Modern Family 'Apple' episode and remembered just how seamlessly everything Apple is integrated - I don't own anything Apple right now, but did have a macbook pro, iphone and ipad.

I remember once not having my iphone with me and went into imessage on my ipad and sent a message to my friend to their iphone (which appears within their texts screen). It doesn't sound too difficult a concept, but it's technology and functionality that just works and you can rely on.

Also, the lack of apps on Windows is a little frustrating - if i'm sitting on the couch and want to have a browse on my SP3, I usually always use the keyboard because the app availability means the touchscreen functionality is rarely used.

This is not to complain about my SP3 as I love it, but if there were to be an iPad Pro, then I would seriously consider going for one, even though I do love the SP3.

How about you?

Gary.M

Nope, never. I want to decide what I do with my hardware, install whatever programs I want and not live in Apple's walled garden. While I do appreciate how Apple products just work - I do in fact have an iPhone 6 plus and enjoy apps on that - when it comes to a tablet I much prefer the openness of the SP3

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

Nope, never. I want to decide what I do with my hardware, install whatever programs I want and not live in Apple's walled garden. While I do appreciate how Apple products just work - I do in fact have an iPhone 6 plus and enjoy apps on that - when it comes to a tablet I much prefer the openness of the SP3

That's definitely something that frustrates me. You can't tether from an iPhone to an android phone but you can vice versa. That's something I would definitely have to think about

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
No a chance. I can't comment on osx, never used it in my life, but i had an ipad air 2 for a brief period and thought it worthless for anything more than browsing the web and running crappy apps. I like being able to use my machine as i like, and enjoy the windows experience. Just on ios i found it a complete PITA just changing a setting, to me it felt like i had to take 50 steps to do what i should have been able to do in 2.

I very much doubt many of any people bought a surface pro 3 so they can run apps. People bught it because it was a fully fledged windows machine that can run real worthwhile programs, not candy crush saga or instagram etc.

Would an ipad pro run ios or osx?

RémiM

Nope Sir !

I keep my SP3.

Would an ipad pro run ios or osx?

Very good question indeed. In my mind, I can't associate "apps" and "professional use". When I use my better half's iPad Air 2, I feel like this thing was designed for my old grand mother.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope, not a snowball's chance in the heat of a Death Valley sunny summer day.
1. An iPad is an iPad, its a consumption device first anything else is a hack.
2. iPads run iOS, too restrictive.
3. iPads don't have the Horsepower of an SP3 i3 much less anything more and the iPad Pro wont fix that.
4. There's not an ARM SoC on the planet that can match an i5 nor can Apple make one that does.
5. iPad Apps are too dumbed down... In the App world they're App Lite or App Jr.
6. Closed ecosystem, take a hike, get lost.
7. 4:3 aspect ratio died with CRT Monitors, its not good for Breakfast anymore, or anything.
8. It will run iOS 8
9. No USB.
10. No Kickstand.
11. Apple only fixes most security issues when a new iOS version is released and doesn't fix them in prior releases.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
iOS and OSX are more vulnerable to exploits than any other modern OS, their system is starting to show wear and they seem to be resting on their install base. Window's ecosystem is very integrated across all of my devices the experience is far superior than any other on the market. I want nothing to do with Google, not with their privacy policy and the fact that well over 25% of the Apps on Google Play contains malware....

zhenya

Wow. Talk about a reality distortion field....

For me I would have to see what it actually turned out to be. If it had excellent stylus integration, that would be the primary sell for me and there would be a good chance I'd switch. It's the primary thing that drove me to the SP in the first place. Especially as Microsoft is supporting OneNote so well on iOS now. There are still a lot of quirks with the SP that are hard to live with compared to an iPad, and knowing Apple, an iPad Pro would likely have 15-20 hours of REAL world battery life which completely changes the way you use a device.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow. Talk about a reality distortion field....

For me I would have to see what it actually turned out to be. If it had excellent stylus integration, that would be the primary sell for me and there would be a good chance I'd switch. It's the primary thing that drove me to the SP in the first place. Especially as Microsoft is supporting OneNote so well on iOS now. There are still a lot of quirks with the SP that are hard to live with compared to an iPad, and knowing Apple, an iPad Pro would likely have 15-20 hours of REAL world battery life which completely changes the way you use a device.

And it can be argued that there are quirks that make the ipad hard to live with compared to the SP3, such as the inability to run any real applications. Battery life and stylus mean nothing to most surface buyers if they couldn't even run desktop class applications like photoshop, office, (for me, endnote).

If all people wanted was a tablet, they'd just buy a tablet. People buy the surface because of the fact that it is a fully fledged computer. In this scenario, a tablet like the ipad is absolutely worthless and cannot even be compared to the SP3. I'm pretty sure people are using their surface for a heck of a lot more than onenote. I don't see how a tablet can be compared to a laptop in any shape or form. App argument aside, the surface can do most things an ipad can, wheras the ipad can do net to nothing that the surface is capable of. Who here would have bought the SP3 if it could only run apps from the store? I'm willing to bet not very many.

zhenya

And it can be argued that there are quirks that make the ipad hard to live with compared to the SP3, such as the inability to run any real applications. Battery life and stylus mean nothing to most surface buyers if they couldn't even run desktop class applications like photoshop, office, (for me, endnote).

If all people wanted was a tablet, they'd just buy a tablet. People buy the surface because of the fact that it is a fully fledged computer. In this scenario, a tablet like the ipad is absolutely worthless and cannot even be compared to the SP3. I'm pretty sure people are using their surface for a heck of a lot more than onenote. I don't see how a tablet can be compared to a laptop in any shape or form. App argument aside, the surface can do most things an ipad can, wheras the ipad can do net to nothing that the surface is capable of. Who here would have bought the SP3 if it could only run apps from the store? I'm willing to bet not very many.

Windows computers are ubiquitous though. The Surface is nothing if it isn't a great tablet. At the moment it's a mediocre tablet. I have the Surface because it's the best notetaking device on the market right now. If something changed, and that were no longer the case - I'd be glad to switch back. There are a lot of other sweet devices on the market right now, and that they be integrated into one device isn't particularly important to me.

You minimize the importance of OneNote, but I would wager that for most people, the flexibility to take notes like that is the number one reason they consider the device in the first place. Almost every 'considering buying' thread at /r/Surface cites notes as the reason it's being considered over a laptop. If not, why not take the laptop with a better trackpad, a better keyboard, and better battery life?