What's new

Would you convert to an iPad Pro and replace your SP3?

Would you convert to an iPad Pro in place of your SP3?

• Yes

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No

Votes: 55 96.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

macmee

I think to compare an iPad Pro to an SP3 doesn't make sense. A tablet running a mobile OS is mainly for media consumption and web browsing. A hybrid like the SP3 is meant to work as a media consumption device as well as one for real productivity. So someone who feels they do not require the form factor of the SP3 for productivity would consider owning a ultrabook and iPad Pro. I tell people all the time that the SP3 isn't the best tablet experience or the best laptop experience. But it is a happy medium. I'm a photographer so I use my SP3 to run Photoshop CC and LR5. I like not having to travel with two different devices or having to pull each one out for different situations.

iPad Pro may run iOS but it's premature to assume that it does.

Lots of interesting stuff here folks. To pitch my 2p FWIW;

An "iPad Pro" - with a digitizer as good as the Surface would be a compelling device for my particular use case. Whilst I love the ability to use the full Office Suite on the Surface, the same on the iPad ain't all that bad. I'm only using Outlook because the Windows mail app requires ActiveSync (Which my company doesn't support). Why, oh why, can't there be an EWS option too? That alone would save a chunk of my battery life.

The iPad apps are, generally speaking, a lot more polished and complete than the Windows ones but - as has been said ad infinitum - that's simply because of the developer draw that Apple has.

To address the magazine/paper issue, I use Pressreader on the Surface - which is very nice. The only difference between that an specific Newspaper apps is that I can't do the interactive crossword in the paper.

For most other things in my role, browser, email, Office, Onedrive, Onenote all suffice.

Running Win10 as my OS, I can see enough improvement coming along that I can see no burning reason to have any dis-satisfaction with the Surface. And, as I ditched my iPhone with my iPad, the iPad Pro would become an isolated device - which isn't really the Apple way (I have a Galaxy Note 4 now - which I love).

TL;DR. Having jumped the Apple ship last year, the iPad Pro would have to be something very special to draw me back into the fold.

Umut

Ipad is a big smartphone(iphone), while sp3 is a small laptop. That sums up all.
After using ipad for 2 years, and upgrading to sp3, I can say that.
And yes, ipad pro will be an ARM device running ios. Just bigger screen. Nowhere near a sp3.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
iPad Pro may run iOS but it's premature to assume that it does.
What's really premature is to think it would run anything else. I expect to see an iPad Pro announcement close to the SP4 announcement in an attempt to dampen the SP4 market buzz. Das media sheeple will take the bait even though an iPad Pro wont do anything an iPad wont do. iPad Pro/iPad = 1.25 - 1.28 Bigger.

They are trying to rescue the iPad not kill it, how would releasing a tablet that runs OSX wont help the iPad. Note: that's been done already... failed... see Surface Pro vs Surface.

Last edited:

dstrauss

I think we will see the iPad Pro next week at the backend of the Apple Watch Re-premiere. I think they want to get a leg up on Microsoft before the SPro 4/Windows 10 hits the market. The Apple Watch alone won't keep the stock price climb.

If not, it will be the Reina MacBook Air up to bat, with iPad Pro coming at start of the summer. They need to get the SPro 3 alternative out there before any more fanboys (like Alex Lindsay) buy the SPro 3 and hype it on the decidedly Apple-only show MacBreak Weekly...

macmee

What's really premature is to think it would run anything else. I expect to see an iPad Pro announcement close to the SP4 announcement in an attempt to dampen the SP4 market buzz. Das media sheeple will take the bait even though an iPad Pro wont do anything an iPad wont do. iPad Pro/iPad = 1.25 - 1.28 Bigger.

They are trying to rescue the iPad not kill it, how would releasing a tablet that runs OSX wont help the iPad. Note: that's been done already... failed... see Surface Pro vs Surface.

Your comparison is justification for why the iPad Pro WOULD work not why it would fail. Microsoft released 2 tablets, a real tablet (Pro) and a fake tablet that everyone knew would fail because it's so limited (not pro). Microsoft's failed Surface tablet is more comparable to the iPad whereas the Surface Pro is more comparable to the iPad Pro with OSX.

It's natural evolution for OSX and iOS to eventually merge into one OS. Whether or not it happens now or 10 years from now I think the longer Apple waits the more it hurts them.

You make some fair points there - up until the point where you suggest that Apple are going to get hurt. Apple isn't just (an albeit good) tech tool, it's a covetous brand - hence the kool aid and reality distortion memes. There's quite a good "discussion"(tm) going on at Slashdot at the moment about why Microsoft's prediction of their W10 phone platform being the next world killer is BS.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your comparison is justification for why the iPad Pro WOULD work not why it would fail. Microsoft released 2 tablets, a real tablet (Pro) and a fake tablet that everyone knew would fail because it's so limited (not pro). Microsoft's failed Surface tablet is more comparable to the iPad whereas the Surface Pro is more comparable to the iPad Pro with OSX.

It's natural evolution for OSX and iOS to eventually merge into one OS. Whether or not it happens now or 10 years from now I think the longer Apple waits the more it hurts them.

But one of the big issues with the surface line was that it was windows, but it wasn't windows. There was a lot of confusion as to what it really was.

How would this translate to apple? Because no matter how i look at it, even as someone who keeps up to date on tech, ipad means mobile, it means ios. if it were to be some touch enabled osx with ios blended in, i dont think they would call it an ipad, i think they would go out of their way to differentiate the product name so that it sells itself. i jist dont see them releasing a full powered slate and using the ipad branding for it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apple doesn't believe in 2 in Ones nor ToasterAtors err RefrigeraToasters so they will absolutely not make one, at least not yet. :)

Personally I like to toast my bread for Peanut Butter sandwiches but I put it in the freezer to cool off first otherwise the PB melts and runs all over the place; so I could go for an integrated RefrigeraToaster but the market is probably kinda small for that. Maybe just a ToastFreezer. ;)

Last edited:
B

BChat

@GreyFox7 - add some marshmallow fluff and you have a prize winning sandwich - off topic - my bad.

on topic - even though I've only had the 3 for a few days - can't think of anything I'd want as a replacement (other than an i7-512)