What's new

Would you like to see VLC for Windows 8, RT and WP8?

Sin

The goal of the kickstarter is to work on a version for the Windows store that will be comparable with ARM-based tablets. The current version of VLC runs very well on Intel-based Windows 8 machines in desktop mode. While nothing is guaranteed, it nice to see VideoLAN try to bring VLC to Windows RT.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
VLC runs on Win 8 and pro not RT... hence the kickstarter project
No, as sin posted already, their main goal is to produce a modern-ui-app (native code), so they'll be ready for future developments on Win-platform. The arm-version is supposed to be an update and more like a nice benefit from the original-project. So basic steps first - then the team will be able to profit from the "code base" for Win-8 series software, with like versions for arm or the mentioned possibility for Windows Phone.

R0bR

No, as sin posted already, their main goal is to produce a modern-ui-app (native code), so they'll be ready for future developments on Win-platform. The arm-version is supposed to be an update and more like a nice benefit from the original-project. So basic steps first - then the team will be able to profit from the "code base" for Win-8 series software, with like versions for arm or the mentioned possibility for Windows Phone.

If that's the case then they will definitely not be getting any donation money from me. As long as I install the codecs in Windows 8 I can play any media file, I don't need VLC to do that. There is a need for a Windows RT App, that's the void they should be looking to fill and I would gladly donate if THAT was their target.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Aw: Would you like to see VLC for Windows 8, RT and WP8?

Don't get me wrong, they'll try to serve your needs - but maybe not at the first place, because there might be some problems with the sandbox-behavior of win rt. This could result in a slight downgraded functionality (like playing optical media).
The biggest problem, I'm guessing, is to convince people to pay for vlc - something most user hadn't done yet. Since the numbers of sold rt-devices aren't that great and most win8 users are fined with starting vlc from desktop it will get hard - especially with the teased gui, which is, at least to say, not really promising.

Sin

If you read their Kickstarter page, they go into details on what they have so far and what they are attempting to achieve. Their goal is to get a fully functional version working on ARM-based tablets, which means our Surface RTs. They also discuss some of the potential areas that could cause difficulty, like the Sandboxing, but they believe that is workable. You can already use VLC on Windows 8, just on the desktop or install codes and play in your preferred media player. The biggest advantage is if they are able to get a fully functional version working on RT and can improve our flexibility on the media we can play.