What's new

WOW! It's available!

CrippsCorner

So who's getting one? :) tried convincing mum to get one... but she doesn't want to spend more than £50 on a 'tablet' lol, parents eh.

netuser

The Keyboard on the Surface Pro 3 is actually the exact same size as the keyboard for the smaller 10.6 Surface Pro 2 or Surface 2, the TrackPad is however, larger on the Pro 3 Cover. There's just more space around the Keyboard on the Pro 3 cover.

The dimensions of the Surface 3 Type Cover are listed at 10.5 x 7.4 and the cavity of the Keyboard in the current Type covers is 10.25 x 4.2 so the same keyboard will fit although the edges would be reduced. I guess we will see if they continue to use the same keyboard or if they have to shave a millimeter or two off of it. Given that your already making a tablet with different dimensions Id think adding a millimeter to it would be a better choice than having to make a whole new keyboard just because it was a millimeter to narrow for the existing keyboard.

Bitlocker is on all the surfaces. Business customers with volume license will deploy the OS to these exactly the same way they do to their desktops and laptops. There's a deployment guide for building your own image to put into the recovery partition. You can download all the Firmware and drivers for building images and pushing updates yourself using your standard enterprise deployment/management tools.

How is Bitlocker going to be on the Surface 3 with Windows 8.1 Core?
I've seen Bitlocker listed as a feature requiring 8.1 Pro or Enterprise. It was only on the Surface RT and Surface 2 because those ran Windows RT that was a special case that also had Bitlocker. However, I don't see Bitlocker available anywhere on 8.1 Core or 8.1 with Bing.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How is Bitlocker going to be on the Surface 3 with Windows 8.1 Core?
I've seen Bitlocker listed as a feature requiring 8.1 Pro or Enterprise. It was only on the Surface RT and Surface 2 because those ran Windows RT that was a special case that also had Bitlocker. However, I don't see Bitlocker available anywhere on 8.1 Core or 8.1 with Bing.
All Connected Standby enabled machines require BitLocker uses TPM 2.0 or later (which doesn't exist yet :) ), The Recovery Key is loaded into an encrypted store on the User's OneDrive. The difference is this version is not manageable by Business Customers (i.e. storing the Key in AD). So all S0iX ATOM Tablets use Bitlocker (as my Dell Venue 8 Pro will attest to)

TeknoBlast

I should, I shouldnt....yes I can.....no I cant....UHG!!! Technology.....why am I so addicted. I must resist. Well I guess the Surface Mini is out of the question. damn it!

Ghostx

I dont mind that it only comes with Windows 8.1 and not Pro -- as it comes with a free upgrade to Windows 10 the following month (Windows 10 is expected June, 2015).

Liam2349

I dont mind that it only comes with Windows 8.1 and not Pro -- as it comes with a free upgrade to Windows 10 the following month (Windows 10 is expected June, 2015).

Windows 10 is expected this Summer, which ends in September.

Liam2349

So who's getting one? :) tried convincing mum to get one... but she doesn't want to spend more than £50 on a 'tablet' lol, parents eh.

Briefly considered buying one for my mum, but I think she is better with my Pro 2. She is getting my Pro 3 when I get a Pro 4 anyway so no need to complicate things further.

johnj2803

i just went to a MS store and found this little guy... I can say that this is more of a tablet than the SP pro 3. The size make a tangible difference

Attachments

• 2015-04-02 10.53.13.jpg
    2015-04-02 10.53.13.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 699