What's new

WTG Microsoft....NOT!!!!!!

wseverino

Just installed the most recent update to my Microsoft Surface Pro 2 - 512GB and 8GB RAM. Low and behold they updated the BIOS and it fried my machine. Now I have to get a replacement from them!

daniielrp

Pretty certain Surface's don't have a BIOS, they use UEFI instead. What actually happened? Is it not booting? Not loading?...

OP
W

wseverino

Tomato / Tomatoe in this case. Yes they had a UEFI update that botched system. Nothing will load stuck on the TPM and Keys screen.

drolem

If the UEFI is messed up it could be *GAME OVER*. It may not work in this case, but try a hard reset (Vol+PWR) anyhow.

OP
W

wseverino

Jolly - I actually powered the unit up again today and it brought up the system recovery. I entered the bitlocker key and I got it to come up. I copied everything I needed then I restarted the machine. Bam back to the TPM screen and stuck there again. Now that I got everything I need just going to send this one back to them when I get the replacement tomorrow.

OP
W

wseverino

Bluegrass - Yes Microsoft pulled the updates from what I saw on TechNet.

As of today I still have a dead Surface due to UEFI failure. Microsoft cant even seem to tell me when I am going to get a new one even though I choose the advanced replacement option which meant I would have a replacement in 3 days!

Renigami

Bluegrass - Yes Microsoft pulled the updates from what I saw on TechNet.

As of today I still have a dead Surface due to UEFI failure. Microsoft cant even seem to tell me when I am going to get a new one even though I choose the advanced replacement option which meant I would have a replacement in 3 days!

Current supply issues I believe are the reasons why those buying new and or needing a replacement are not fluid at the moment. Microsoft was terribly conservative with the Surface Pro 2 (after the lackluster buildup from Windows 8, Surface Pro 1 from major reviewers comparing [on the skin surface] it to the iPad). They did not think to make more than a few hundred thousands of devices past the pre-order amount (not wanting to again, eat the cost of things like they did with the Surface RT).