What's new

Xbox 1 vs PS4

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to stir up a storm :D

I'm sat on call and bored out of my mind (hence my rather long posts today :p) and have money that I've not very much use for.

I love the idea of uniformity among my devices, and as such, the xbox one seems to be the winner here once win 10 arrives for it, but the gf has a ps4 and as such I'd have access to her games, and not necessarily have to buy a second controller. I'm not a heavy gamer, maybe an hour or so a week, and am definitely a cheapskate when it comes to buying games (PS2 is my current gen console because games are 50p each) and I couldn't care less about explusives or things like COD etc, I just want fun games.

Common sense is saying PS4, but i'm really liking the idea of having all my devices working seamlessly together, and am heavily considering a windows phone at some point as I've nothing invested into the android ecosystem.

Any thoughts :D *exists the room with haste*

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 is coming to Xbox One in November, in the UK you can get OTA HD programming with DVR functions coming in 2016, You can stream or download DVR to any Windows 10 device (including phones) for viewing and stream Xbox Games to your Windows 10 device....

lparsons21

I've got a PS3, PS4 and Xbox One and end up playing the Xbox One most of the time. I'm a casual gamer and love the simpler games. Part of that is that as I've aged (I'm 71), my hand-eye coordination just isn't what it used to be.
So I subscribe to Xbox Live Gold and get some free games, some of which fit me fine and for $60/year it is a cheap way to have some games for casual play. You can do the same with PS3/4 with PS Plus for $50/year.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both of you highlight the same selling points that I liked. I'm just a casual gamer and like yourself @lparsons21 I mostly want to play some simple fun games (and GTA) but I've no desire for AAA titles etc. I just don't have the energy for all these twitch reaction high intensity multiplayer games populated by 15 year olds :D

And @jnjroach a big draw. I'm looking at a windows phone when they are finally announced, as I just love the idea of the uniformity of everything. I can forego the TV functions entirely, havn't watched television in a decade now.

Think I've talked myself into an xbox because why not :) the missus and I already have every sony device there is, however she has to share her ps4 with her little brother so has to stay at her parents house). I doubt she will be impressed :D She gave me the "well it's your money" speech when I bought the Surface 3 a month or two back so maybe I won't tell her about this purchase for a little bit longer. at £200 though, can't really see a reason not to pick on up. Or maybe I will tell her, I always end up drinking less when I game because I don't have a third hand, maybe I can use that as my justification :)

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bought and paid :) £199 delivered with a years warranty. Probably a better investment than the kitchen knife I had my eye on, and a damned sight cheaper too :) Now to buy a game I guess.

lparsons21

Bought and paid :) £199 delivered with a years warranty. Probably a better investment than the kitchen knife I had my eye on, and a damned sight cheaper too :) Now to buy a game I guess.

Take a look at Rayman games. Great games for the casual gamer and totally mindless so you don't have to do a lot of thinking. I find myself playing one or the other of them almost every time I decide to have a gaming session.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take a look at Rayman games. Great games for the casual gamer and totally mindless so you don't have to do a lot of thinking. I find myself playing one or the other of them almost every time I decide to have a gaming session.

Thanks for the heads up. Ive been enjoying side scrolling platformers of late, like ori and the blind forest. Only so much I can play on my sp3