What's new

XBox Games Will Not Log In To Xbox Live

floorouncher

I've been dealing with this issue for the last two days. None of the Xbox Games through the Windows App Store will log in to Xbox live. The Xbox Games app has no problems doing so. All seems to be working fine for the music app and the video app. I just can't get any of the games to sing in. I've tried every possible suggestion I could find short of reloading my Surface. I've tried the proxy settings fix (ensuring the Surface is not configured to use a proxy server), I've tried the time zone fix (ensuring the time zone matches my actual time zone). I've ensured that I am logging into the system with my Windows account rather than a local account... I've switched accounts in the Windows App Store, uninstalled and reinstalled games, and even installed Xbox games that I've never had installed on any of my devices. These are all fixes that other people have reported as working in the past in various other forums and on Microsoft's help sites and I've had no luck with any of them.

Is anyone else having a similar problem and has anyone had a similar problem in the past that they were able to fix? Thanks.

gwinegarden

I'm having the exact same issue. I had to do a complete reinstall, yesterday, due to some unknown error and since then, I cannot sign in to any games. When I start up the games app, I am signed on, but, when it try to run a game, it says that the sign-on failed.

One of the games has a slightly different issue. When I run it, it says it wants to activate it (they were all reinstalled, when I had the error). It then says it is checking the price (!!). Then, it says I already own it and then the sign on fails.

So far, I have found no fix.

Last edited:
OP
F

floorouncher

I have yet to find anything to help at the moment. I did read that the only way someone else was able to fix it is to basically reload their Surface and during the reloading process they deleted the recovery/sync file for the system from SkyDrive and then set the Surface up as a new PC rather than restoring the backup (that shouldn't exist if it was deleted from SkyDrive). I too ran into the problem when I reloaded my Surface after running into some issues with SkyDrive that I couldn't resolve. I haven't given this fix a go but I plan on trying it this evening when I get home. It sounds like a massive pain in the ass, but I'm losing my patience and have failed to find anything to resolve the problem. I'll report back when I pull the trigger on it and let you know how it turns out.

OP
F

floorouncher

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to have worked. I'm not sure what else there is to do. When I reset I used the setting to reset if I was going to sell the tablet for a more thorough wipe/reload. I set it up as a new PC, with a new name, and installed Angry Birds Star Wars and I get the same error that I need to log in to Xbox live. I'm completely stumped on this one.

oion

Well, the last-stop (and first-stop, really) tech support is Microsoft. You should contact them, though I'm not sure that'd be for the Surface or XBox Live separately.

OP
F

floorouncher

I actually think I got it working... I wish I could say I got it figured out but I'm not 100% certain what fixed it. I reloaded again and this time set it up with a local account and then added my MS account. I've downloaded two games that were giving me problems before and now they're signing in with no problems.... It sucks to have to reload again, but if you're desperate I'd say give it a go.

gwinegarden

Well, the last-stop (and first-stop, really) tech support is Microsoft. You should contact them, though I'm not sure that'd be for the Surface or XBox Live separately.

Well, I checked MS support, and in every case, that I found, they said go to Xbox support. On Xbox support, the general reply is ................

I have posted the issue there. We will see what happens.

OP
F

floorouncher

Well, I checked MS support, and in every case, that I found, they said go to Xbox support. On Xbox support, the general reply is ................

I have posted the issue there. We will see what happens.

I did the same and Xbox support said that I needed to contact Surface support... at that point I decided to wipe/reload again which resolved the issue.

Dal1970

I had this problem when I finally downloaded Adera to try. Searched all the forums etc and the only solution appears to be a full reset. MS knows about the problem and agree it is their problem but still have not been able to solve it after 6 months...

The solution that worked for me, was to uninstall all xbox games, then sync licences, then do a full factory reset. Mine came up with a BSOD - non paged fault (this is due to the graphics driver..) then set up as a new PC and log in with the MS account. Tried Adera, still did not work, so did the full reset again, same BSOD, then logged in as a new account and everything works fine now.

From another forum, it appears that 2 full resets are necessary for this problem

Hope this helps

gabe406

I have the same problem too. After having my SP replaced I restored the image that I made from the old one. I can sign into Xbox Games and Store but none of the games. If I am understanding this thread correctly I have no choice but to rebuild the whole system???

UPDATE: I went ahead and restored the SP to factory defaults, upgraded to 8.1, and ran all updates. All the apps that failed to login are now logging in. I sure hope this is not the only way to fix it...

Last edited: