What's new

xbox music - it seems to just work

macintosh

I've not signed up for a free trial yet I seem to be able to stream any music.

when I look at my account its only got xbox live gold - theres no xbox music account active.

does it just work for free for a bit?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
The us-site is stating a 6-month free streaming (after 6 Month limited to 10hrs a month with ads), here in Germany, the experience was more like: get 30sec of that song or suscribe to a music-pass (first month free).
To check, if i can get rid of Spotify (no WinRt-app so far and on Wp 7.5 te app isn't what i would call reliable), i suscribed, but i do have problems with streaming and playing songs from sd-card, when connected standby kicks in.
And finally: The app isn't very user friendly, i can't think about managing a nice collection of music with it.

OP
macintosh

macintosh

weird - I had only played a bits of songs to test it, When showing it off to someone in the office.

I just did a test playing an album - the new robbie williams one - so nothing I've ever downloaded from any MS music service before - or have on my windows phone.
and it's playing all the tracks.

oddly it has one album in the 'my music' section DeadMaus - which i think i bought on zune music on my windows phone.

it also seemed to suggest music I'd bought on msn music back in 2008. but thats not appearing in 'my music'

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Did your surface went to connected standby while playing? Mine is stating this everytime it's going there. When streaming it sounds like an old and worn tape, when playing from sd-card it stops and show this failure-notice on every track.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
I got the issue also on streaming and connected-standby. Sometimes only after 5-7 Songs, sometimes when it skips to a new one.

Br1an_g

yeh, I have seen some weird behaviour from xbox music. lots of unsupported format errors when I lose connectivity for a short time even though its songs added to a play list from xbox music.
playing from sd card is fine, not had any issues with that at all..
also, as per the original post I can play full songs and albums although sometimes it forgets and starts playing 30sec clips for a while.
I do think it will be a great service when the kinks are ironed out and I would be happy paying for it.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
According to a moderator on ms-answers, this update is addressed to the issues with the wireless streaming on connected standby, but they are doing research about the issue of broken playback from micro-sd-cards.

OP
macintosh

macintosh

i have found it is stopping a while after the device goes 'to sleep' - I've fixed this by going into power management in the desktop - not metro settings.
and setting it to never go to sleep when on power.

its been playing music at work all day today on the smart dj mix