What's new

XBox music sign in renders Surface useless for travel music listening

pwaggs

I have been traveling a month with very limited WiFi access and the WiFi access I have has not let me sign into Xbox music services. What I have found is that I can no longer play music on my Surface. This is very disappointing as that is one of its primary purposes. Yes the music is on the Surface itself and is not being streamed. It simply wants to sign in, I am guessing to authenticate my account, and when it cannot, it does not give me access to my music.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You could use one of the other Media Players. Also have you tried to launch from explorer rather then the Xbox Music App?

kristalsoldier

I have been traveling a month with very limited WiFi access and the WiFi access I have has not let me sign into Xbox music services. What I have found is that I can no longer play music on my Surface. This is very disappointing as that is one of its primary purposes. Yes the music is on the Surface itself and is not being streamed. It simply wants to sign in, I am guessing to authenticate my account, and when it cannot, it does not give me access to my music.

Yeah...its irritating, which is why I am eagerly waiting for VLC to get their act together. I hate Xbox music services!!!!

kundas1

Also waiting for VLC player, so I feel ya brother...lol also to OP, if you want a more robust music player I would suggest paying for mediaMonkey as it works very well AND MobileHD for movies! plays MKV files perfectly... just an FYI.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Also had this with Xbox Gaming or whatever it's called.

Tried to load my game save up on a plane and it wouldn't let me continue without accessing the internet :( I was very disappointed.

And yes, I had selected to use local data rather than online at every opportunity.

kristalsoldier

I guess MS has to push its sub-par Xbox Music and Video apps - I say sub-par because these apps make it mandatory to sign in and be connected. Reality, of course, is something very different. Not everybody can be connected all the time (yes, even in the developed parts of the world). I guess it is up to independent developers to fill in the gaps - kundas1 gives some good examples. While this is not a problem for the Pro, I guess users of the RT platform still have some waiting to do. What I'd really like is a simple media player (that can play any file format that is thrown at it - or at least most formats) that can handle both video and audio files, which is what I expect VLC to do once it is available for the RT platform. Of course, if I had the Pro, I would already be using it - like I do on my desktop machine!

ibenzawla

I have never enjoyed music on my RT anyway mainly due to background music restrictions. The surface as an entertainment device? I seriously doubt it. Tiny speakers that sounds too low. I will continue to use my phone.

kundas1

WHAT are you talking about? I listen to music on my RT with no problems and no restrictions, yea the speakers aren't the greatest out there (which no other tablets for that matter) but it never stopped me from listening to music which I do all the time, the Surface makes an amazing entertainment device which I watch movies (on a 60" tv also), listen to music and play video games with no problems what so ever... dunno what your talking about willis

EDRo

Agreed^^^ and signing into Xbox music or anything else for that matter is never a problem when you also carry a Windows Phone 8 device like the Nokia Lumia 1020. Sharing my LTE connection with my Surface 2 works flawlessly.

kundas1

^^ good point, I forgot to add that also, but I connect with my galaxy note2 and stream my music cuzz the radio plays crappy music all the time lol

CrippsCorner

Agreed^^^ and signing into Xbox music or anything else for that matter is never a problem when you also carry a Windows Phone 8 device like the Nokia Lumia 1020. Sharing my LTE connection with my Surface 2 works flawlessly.

What about on a plane? I couldn't do that :(