What's new

Xbox Music Troubleshooting

HB_xxx

I thought I could start a thread devoted to xbox music. It has sooooo much potential, but needs some work. There are a lot of quirky things with it. I'll start with the first question

So the icons next to songs mean what?

cloud
radio
song note
absent icon

Horace

I think cloud means it is music you own that has been matched to their online store so you can listen to the marked tracks anywhere for free when you're signed in on that account.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Horace is right, the cloud icon refers to the matching function (or a part it, since there are rumor to introduce a matching function for Music currently not available through xbox-music).
The Note icons means, this is music you own and which is stored on your device, whereas the radio-icon stands for music you've added through music-pass on a device (so it's part of your music), but you have no stored copy on any device.
No icon is for music you have added on your device though music-pass but haven't been downloaded.

OP
H

HB_xxx

Thanks for the answers. I'm also having trouble getting it to notice music I have added by ripping. Some CD's with quality music, I still like to rip into WMA lossless after buying the CD. With the last 4 CD's i've ripped, the songs show up when I sort "my music" by "songs" but the artist isn't there and the album isn't listed. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'm ripping with WMP with the all the tag data added through that.

OP
H

HB_xxx

Horace is right, the cloud icon refers to the matching function (or a part it, since there are rumor to introduce a matching function for Music currently not available through xbox-music).
The Note icons means, this is music you own and which is stored on your device, whereas the radio-icon stands for music you've added through music-pass on a device (so it's part of your music), but you have no stored copy on any device.
No icon is for music you have added on your device though music-pass but haven't been downloaded.

ok, so just to clarify
cloud = WMA file is actually on my computer and has been "matched" in the cloud
Note = WMA file is actually on my computer and it is NOT "matched" in the cloud (like a Beatles album etc.)
radio = WMA is NOT on my computer but it has been listed in my music and can be streamed
no icon = still don't get? added to my device, but not downloaded?!?

Appreciate the help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
No icon = select album view> select album> swipe up from bottom select match album info.

OP
H

HB_xxx

any ideas as to why when i rip new music in WMA lossless i can't seem to find it in xbox music anywhere except for the song list? under "my music" when I look under albums or artist, it's not there. only when listed as songs.

Last edited:

ArnoldC

any ideas as to why when i rip new music in WMA lossless i can't seem to find it in xbox music anywhere except for the song list? under "my music" when I look under albums or artist, it's not there. only when listed as songs.

What software do you use to rip? I use Windows Media Player and it grabs the album info off the web. When the xbox music is launched, they are properly categorized.

ps.

There's a bit of difference in handling non-Latin Unicode between Windows Media Player and the Music App-

WMA-unicode_zps3a04a9ff.png

MusicApp-unicode_zpsc6e5d6e3.png

Last edited:
OP
H

HB_xxx

i used WMP, but I did change the id3 tag a bit. that shouldn't make a difference, right? If it does, that is stupid.