What's new

Xbox music update is solid

HB_xxx

Unlike the terrible calendar update. Have to say the music update rocks. Makes the music app go from terrible to tolerable. My urge to return to spotify is waning.

ZachBui

what did the update for the music app do? Performance? Left my surface at home for a week, and I miss all these updates xD

ArnoldC

Well for one, you can now navigate beyond the Libraries. I use it to play from my Synology NAS. Same wih Video.

OP
H

HB_xxx

fixed some annoying things. here's what I've noticed

1. you can sort your music by "on my device" or "in the cloud"

2. You can edit the "now playing" list (my god, finally, even Winamp circa 1998 could do that)

3. volume control through the app

4. suggests similar artists, which I haven't seen before

5. when you select and artist it has a better interface rather than just showing "top songs" or whatever it did that made no sense

6. when you select the + button on a song it has a drop down menu rather than making you select something at the bottom on the screen

I bet there is more, but that's what I've noticed.

repinca

I'm really happy with it.

Support for sorting music is much better. It collapses the song list so there's way less scrolling to get to the end of lists. I can now play by genre, which I could not before.

I have noticed fewer problems playing when the screen goes blank.

My song count immediately jumped, so it's finding music it didn't before for some reason (despite my having reindeer since adding music)

I think the poster above is right, it went from being barely usable to decent, but I almost cried tears of happiness. I also deleted media monkey which I didn't love, but had been using despite being a paid Xbox music pass user.

That is one annoying thing, they've added a click to download songs from the marketplace.

repinca

I'm really happy with it.

Support for sorting music is much better. It collapses the song list so there's way less scrolling to get to the end of lists. I can now play by genre, which I could not before.

I have noticed fewer problems playing when the screen goes blank.

My song count immediately jumped, so it's finding music it didn't before for some reason (despite my having reindeer since adding music)

I think the poster above is right, it went from being barely usable to decent, but I almost cried tears of happiness. I also deleted media monkey which I didn't love, but had been using despite being a paid Xbox music pass user.

That is one annoying thing, they've added a click to download songs from the marketplace.

Okay, so this post illustrates one annoying thing that I've found, which is autocorrect, I think I'm going to have to turn it off. Re-index corrected to reindeer? I never really believed these weird autocorrect things, but now I find it happens to me all the time. Sorry to be off topic.

J515OP

Super Moderator
So nobody has mentioned it but I may not be alone. Has anybody noticed that playing albums through the Music app after the update results in the wrong track being played? For example it shows track 1 playing and all the correct info for track 1 but the actual audio is track 2. I tried going through desktop and playing the files directly and no issue. Did a cold start reboot and issue stayed.

ArnoldC

So nobody has mentioned it but I may not be alone. Has anybody noticed that playing albums through the Music app after the update results in the wrong track being played? For example it shows track 1 playing and all the correct info for track 1 but the actual audio is track 2. I tried going through desktop and playing the files directly and no issue. Did a cold start reboot and issue stayed.

Nope. I tried various way of playing an album and they play the tracks properly. What are the exact steps you're doing?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Open Music app.
Touch my music.
Touch album.
Touch play album.

Does the same thing one song at a time.
All metadata looks correct just the next track on the album plays.

After messing with it now it seems to be limited to one album. Still weird. It seems to me that the cloud sync some how got messed up. Know of a way to clear that?

HD_Dude

Open Music app.
Touch my music.
Touch album.
Touch play album.

Does the same thing one song at a time.
All metadata looks correct just the next track on the album plays.

After messing with it now it seems to be limited to one album. Still weird. It seems to me that the cloud sync some how got messed up. Know of a way to clear that?

It's not for some strange reason - shuffling?