What's new

Yellow hazy vertical line on left side of screen

2fstops

Had an i5 256 with yellow streak on the left of the screen... started very faint and in 2 weeks it became darker and annoying. Returned it and asked for a refund. Waited almost 2 months and tried my luck with the i7 256 and finally! no yellow haze/streak...been using it for more than a week now; so far so good :)

VirtMcPolygon

My i5 256GB developed the problem too. I only noticed it after I wiped my surface and put Windows 10 Technical Preview on it as I normally use the tast bar on the left had side of the screen on my Windows devices. When I reset the OS to 10 and then back to 8.1 it was immediately noticable on white or grey backgrounds.

Thankfully MS have agreed to arrange a device replacement but I have concerns it will happen again.

Here is a pic of mine.

kevinlevrone

I also noticed some very faint yellowness in the left upper corner of the tablet. This is before looking at this thread. However, it is very faint.

What I have noticed is that it becomes virtually invisible at brightness settings below 50%-45% or so. I also noticed that it almost disappeared after a few days on lower brightness (45%) down from my usual setting (around 60%). You may want to try this.

Zaino77

I exchanged 6 units and the ALL had it.
The Care Team that was following my case finally gave in and told me that ALL surface pro 3 have this issue.
Some more some less, but they all have it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never saw a yellow line on the side or anywhere on either Surface 2 or Surface Pro 3 until recently I have been sometimes noticing some sort of line across the top of my Surface 2 which I use most of the time on this site. I think it may be a residual of the green bar at the top of the page... or it could be burned into my retinas. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update, I tried applying firm pressure to the top edge just at and above the display which seems to have cleared up the residual line OR applying the pressure cleared my retinas. :)

Zaino77

Nonsense, mine does not have it and never did.

You probably just can't see it, just like all the people I showed it too couldn't until I pointed it out.

If MICROSOFT itself told me they all have it, it's NOT nonsense.

Yours is most likely really really faint.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You probably just can't see it, just like all the people I showed it too couldn't until I pointed it out.

If MICROSOFT itself told me they all have it, it's NOT nonsense.

Yours is most likely really really faint.

Microsoft didn't tell you this, a support Rep told you, this one rep (who is a vendor and not a Microsoft Employee BTW) doesn't speak for the whole of Microsoft. I have 4 personal SP3s and only one is displaying the issue, it just started. I have 60 deployed at work and only one had the issue.

Zaino77

Microsoft didn't tell you this, a support Rep told you, this one rep (who is a vendor and not a Microsoft Employee BTW) doesn't speak for the whole of Microsoft. I have 4 personal SP3s and only one is displaying the issue, it just started. I have 60 deployed at work and only one had the issue.
The Care Team speaks for Microsoft. Probably cannot use what they say in court, I agree, but what else do you want, Satya Nadella to tell you directly?
I've been through at least 10 support representatives, the Microsoft Store and the Care Team (which is as high as you can go for support).
Not only that, I checked at least 20 units in different stores, in different locations and they ALL had it.
Given my experience and what the Care Team told me, it's far more plausible to assume that you can't see a light version of the problem, then believing I'm just that unlucky :)
You might be right, but statistically speaking I have to go with the first.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Care Team speaks for Microsoft. Probably cannot use what they say in court, I agree, but what else do you want, Satya Nadella to tell you directly?
I've been through at least 10 support representatives, the Microsoft Store and the Care Team (which is as high as you can go for support).
Not only that, I checked at least 20 units in different stores, in different locations and they ALL had it.
Given my experience and what the Care Team told me, it's far more plausible to assume that you can't see a light version of the problem, then believing I'm just that unlucky :)
You might be right, but statistically speaking I have to go with the first.
I have direct interaction with the Surface Engineering Team, it is a known issue with a couple of batches produced this past summer, it was a result of the bonding process of the screen that caused the LCD Crystal to get stuck. It does not impact every device, all of the Display Units found in Stores come from the earlier batches. You can believe what you would like, but it doesn't effect all of the devices.