What's new

Yellow hazy vertical line on left side of screen

Zaino77

I have direct interaction with the Surface Engineering Team, it is a known issue with a couple of batches produced this past summer, it was a result of the bonding process of the screen that caused the LCD Crystal to get stuck. It does not impact every device, all of the Display Units found in Stores come from the earlier batches. You can believe what you would like, but it doesn't effect all of the devices.

That is actually great news, thanks!
I surely believe engineers more than support.
But I also honestly don't know what to do.
Should I keep exchanging? 6 units is a lot.
That's why I got so discouraged. Now you make me rethink...

Last edited:

kidpiglet

I just purchased my SP3 the other week and haven't gotten the infamous yellow 'streak' (lol), but I will be pretty upset if my new unit came from one of these effected batches last summer and develops it :(

Zaino77

I just purchased my SP3 the other week and haven't gotten the infamous yellow 'streak' (lol), but I will be pretty upset if my new unit came from one of these effected batches last summer and develops it :(

I really hope you'll be luckier then I've been so far...
I'm starting to wonder if there's maybe a serial number check we can do to make sure it's not part of the faulty batches...

Last edited:

kidpiglet

when did you purchase/exchanged your units? Was it from the Microsoft retail or online store?

Also just curious was yours the i3/15/i7 model?

Mine is the i3 model. I did read up on this issue and was worried, but if these affected units are truly limited to a batch from last summer, then I'm gonna try not to stress about it until it develops (which I hope it doesn't ever!)

Zaino77

when did you purchase/exchanged your units? Was it from the Microsoft retail or online store?

Also just curious was yours the i3/15/i7 model?

Mine is the i3 model. I did read up on this issue and was worried, but if these affected units are truly limited to a batch from last summer, then I'm gonna try not to stress about it until it develops (which I hope it doesn't ever!)

Mine is an i5 model with 128GB ram.
It was purchased ~2 months ago and the last replacement I received was last week.
The latest replacements were sent from Microsoft Support.

kevinlevrone

I have it, it's pretty faint, and I don't care. It will probably affect the resale value though. But the SP3 is a long-term keeper anyway :)

Zaino77

I have direct interaction with the Surface Engineering Team, it is a known issue with a couple of batches produced this past summer, it was a result of the bonding process of the screen that caused the LCD Crystal to get stuck. It does not impact every device, all of the Display Units found in Stores come from the earlier batches. You can believe what you would like, but it doesn't effect all of the devices.
Gotta share with you guys because it's too funny.
Thanks to the tips from jnjroach I went to the Microsoft store and got finally a replacement with a perfect screen.
Super happy I hop on the bus and start working on it.
The bus driver breaks abruptly and there goes my Surface, face down, for the entire length of the bus...

Echrada

I have had a problem with overheating on my i5, 128GB and Microsoft sent me a replacement, it had the line on left, back it went. Another replacement arrived - yellow line on left. Back it went. Now I am waiting for another replacement if that has the yellow line I am cashing in and buying something else, does not matter how much I liked the Surface Pro 3 Microsoft has made me hate it.

Last edited:

Zaino77

I have had a problem with overheating on my i5, 128GB and Microsoft sent me a replacement, it had the line on left, back it went. Another replacement arrived - yellow line on left. Back it went. Now I am waiting for another replacement if that has the yellow line I am cashing in and buying something else, does not matter how much I liked the Surface Pro 3 Microsoft has made me hate it.
Don't give up. Stop using the online service, go to a Microsoft store and ask for a unit with a lot # higher then 1432.