What's new

Yellow Screen - Exchange help

Octodonk

Hi All,

My Surface (i7, 256gb) recently developed that horrible yellow line/tint on the left side of the screen which gets worse the longer it's on for.

Initially I was able to put up with it, but now I can't, it gets too obvious. So after not being able to find a way to fix it myself, I've decided to send it in and get it exchanged (here's hoping I get a brand new one, and not a refurbished one :S).

Because I live in New Zealand I have to ship it via UPS to Australia, at which point they'll send me back the replacement. So UPS sent me a label and THREE copies of the same invoice, with quotes $300.

So this is where I'm stuck - what do I do with the invoices, it isn't really clear. Furthermore, what's the deal with the $300? Surely I don't have to pay that?

Lastly, what's the best way to package it so that it doesn't turn on in the box? I imagine tight packaging with press the power button?

Cheers for the help! :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Invoices... I don't know, maybe 1 copy for you, one for UPS, one in the box? Id think UPS could explain that. At this point its likely not live, once you hand it over to UPS it will begin its lifecycle and be activated.

We have UPS Stores here, they will pack stuff for you or sell you packing materials... do you have anything similar?

Packing: make sure the box is at least 1 inch 2.5 centimeters bigger than the Surface. Id wrap it in bubble wrap or other packing material pack it in a box just a little bigger and put that box in a bigger box with 1 inch of packing around it on all sides. If you jam it in a shoe box or some small box where the Surface touches the edges of the box it will surely get damaged in shipment from other boxes shifting.

OP
O

Octodonk

Thanks for the info.

Things are looking good for this yellow line though. Looks like some tender rubbing on the side has reduced it by 90%. Lets hope it stays this way! Because I'm fine with how it's looking at the moment.

malberttoo

Thanks for the info.

Things are looking good for this yellow line though. Looks like some tender rubbing on the side has reduced it by 90%. Lets hope it stays this way! Because I'm fine with how it's looking at the moment.

I'm not 100% on how it is outside of the US, but you should have a 1-year warranty with your SP3. This yellow line would be covered under the warranty (don't know what the $300 is about) but be cautious not to wait too long until the expiration date.

BillJ

Part of my daily routine is to awaken my SP3 from sleep and then gently, but firmly caress the left bezel through its entire length. I never see the yellow line anymore.

And I might add, the likelihood of your getting a "refurbished" SP3 through the advanced replacement plan is near 100%. The likelihood of your getting a replacement unit without any flaws is low.

If your SP3 works well except for the yellow line that can be ameliorated with a little massage, you might want to keep it

OP
O

Octodonk

I'd be inclined to agree with you on that. A nice stroke down the side gets rid of most of it.

It is only noticable on websites anyway, and most of the time I have IE/FF in windowed mode. So It's not quite as big a issue as I thought it was. Furthermore, people using my Surface may never notice it, unless I pointed it out. Because I know it is there, my eyes actively try to see it, to the point at where I'm pretty sure they imagine it.

OP
O

Octodonk

Apologies on the double post, but I'd like to update on my situation.

I've started to use my Surface with the taskbar on the left, initially this was to hide the yellow, which it does extremely well. It's invisible now. But, after using it a lot like this I am starting to question why the taskbar isn't on the left as default for Windows tablets. When it is on the left it's in the perfect position for use on a touch device - it feels way more natural that using it on the bottom - when it comes to touch.

So anyway, just my 2 cents. Maybe my experience will help someone else?

eroltopkaya

I was hesitating to write my experience with Microsoft support and I decided to go with it.
My surface pro 3 has same issue. Yellow tint on left side of the screen all the way up to down.

Here we go.

I called Microsoft technical support and they were so nice and very trying to help.
They decided that my surface pro 3 had defective screen and they sent me a replacement.

I received the replacement so fast and happy that my issues was going to be solved.

Unfortunately the replacement was also had other issue which was defective too.
I called them again and they agreed that replacement had issue and they asked me to sent the replacement with the same box came in and they told me some one will call you in 2 to 3 business day.

Its almost 2 weeks and no one calls me or sends me email and I am wondering whats going on!

This suppose to be an escalated case and had to be solved very fast.

I bought 4 of Surface pro 3 for my company for a test run. (Planning to upgrade all of our sales people to Surface Pro 3)

But now I have a question whats going to happen if I have problems with other Surface Pro 3's?

Sorry Microsoft but you failed on me for the support.

I called technical support again and I have no idea what they are doing. They told me some one will call you 2-3 business day AGAIN.

I am just asking a simple replacement with my defective Surface Pro 3 which have yellow tint on the screen. (Yes its still under warranty)

Any feed back will be appreciated.

FYI: I just finish talking with technical support. They told me they don't send me another replacement because my first case was still open because some one didn't check the replacement package yet and she said it might take days.
We can't send you another replacement without closing the first one.
Now is this my fault because someone at Microsoft doesn't move their ass to do their job?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was hesitating to write my experience with Microsoft support and I decided to go with it.
My surface pro 3 has same issue. Yellow tint on left side of the screen all the way up to down.

Here we go.

I called Microsoft technical support and they were so nice and very trying to help.
They decided that my surface pro 3 had defective screen and they sent me a replacement.

I received the replacement so fast and happy that my issues was going to be solved.

Unfortunately the replacement was also had other issue which was defective too.
I called them again and they agreed that replacement had issue and they asked me to sent the replacement with the same box came in and they told me some one will call you in 2 to 3 business day.

Its almost 2 weeks and no one calls me or sends me email and I am wondering whats going on!

This suppose to be an escalated case and had to be solved very fast.

I bought 4 of Surface pro 3 for my company for a test run. (Planning to upgrade all of our sales people to Surface Pro 3)

But now I have a question whats going to happen if I have problems with other Surface Pro 3's?

Sorry Microsoft but you failed on me for the support.

I called technical support again and I have no idea what they are doing. They told me some one will call you 2-3 business day AGAIN.

I am just asking a simple replacement with my defective Surface Pro 3 which have yellow tint on the screen. (Yes its still under warranty)

Any feed back will be appreciated.

FYI: I just finish talking with technical support. They told me they don't send me another replacement because my first case was still open because some one didn't check the replacement package yet and she said it might take days.
We can't send you another replacement without closing the first one.
Now is this my fault because someone at Microsoft doesn't move their ass to do their job?
Just to be sure, this isn't Microsoft's forum. Id head over to Twitter to get some attention, @SurfaceSupport.