What's new

Poll Yellow streak poll (Model + Lot #)

Does your SP3 have the dreaded yellow streak?

• Total voters

i3po

These yellow lines are also a thing on macbooks from what I've read.

If you want a macbook then get one, but don't let a shared issue deter you from the Surface. Mine doesn't have a yellow line, and I'm very happy that I bought it.

Yeah I guess you are right. Its not that I want a macbook more than a surface. I would much rather get a surface. I think it is a more interesting products.

I just don't have the time or the energy to play the panel lottery. Also, these consumer electronics are extremely expensive. Spending 1000 dollars plus for a product that is almost 100% panel and has panel defects that might be higher than 25% would be an absurd thing to buy. Imagine if you bought a set of speakers and the sounds would pop on just 10% of units? I would assume you would return those speakers.

Also, I already dealt with this situation with apple. They gave me the worst costumer service experience of my life which I rather not get into, but essential they opened a repair and accidental sent a replacement. I could see they sent a replacement, but they couldn't. I sent out the repair then got the replacement (which was some degree worse). I called them to tell them I received the replacement. They told me "Feel free to open the replacement the other one will drop off our system" I was skeptical and sure enough the repair came back. Now I have two ipads and literally the entire costumer service team was stumped. Eventually, one manager told me to keep both. So I gave one to my mom and one to my little sister. Then I got a call from customer service accusing me of lying, that they would NEVER give away an ipad. Yet they gave me a 100 dollar gift card for my trouble. I had to go back to my sister and mom and tell them what happened. It was beyond awful.

Liam2349

Yeah I guess you are right. Its not that I want a macbook more than a surface. I would much rather get a surface. I think it is a more interesting products.

I just don't have the time or the energy to play the panel lottery. Also, these consumer electronics are extremely expensive. Spending 1000 dollars plus for a product that is almost 100% panel and has panel defects that might be higher than 25% would be an absurd thing to buy. Imagine if you bought a set of speakers and the sounds would pop on just 10% of units? I would assume you would return those speakers.

Also, I already dealt with this situation with apple. They gave me the worst costumer service experience of my life which I rather not get into, but essential they opened a repair and accidental sent a replacement. I could see they sent a replacement, but they couldn't. I sent out the repair then got the replacement (which was some degree worse). I called them to tell them I received the replacement. They told me "Feel free to open the replacement the other one will drop off our system" I was skeptical and sure enough the repair came back. Now I have two ipads and literally the entire costumer service team was stumped. Eventually, one manager told me to keep both. So I gave one to my mom and one to my little sister. Then I got a call from customer service accusing me of lying, that they would NEVER give away an ipad. Yet they gave me a 100 dollar gift card for my trouble. I had to go back to my sister and mom and tell them what happened. It was beyond awful.

I don't know a huge amount about Apple customer service, but Microsoft offers a 30-day return window in the US and I believe 14-day window everywhere else.

If you don't like your Surface in that window, you can return it and they will even pay postage, so it's worth a try I think.

iDatus

lot 1427 i5 8gb.
I try very hard and my eyes imagines a yellow streak but its not there..
Here is a photo
upload_2014-9-7_16-45-44.png

There looks like a bit of yellow in the middle that's window reflection.

DeltaXray

I just noticed this yellow streak today. Been using the device a week and didn't notice it up till now, so much so that i'm inclined to believe that this developed after usage.

Lot no 1427 , i5/8gb

A quick search shows up similar complaints with the previous surface models as well. It is not good that they have still not resolved this manufacturing defect yet.

Last edited:

iDatus

I think some might have more prominent than anything on my screen. I have to really really look and even then im not sure. it certainly isn't anything im worried about.

wynand32

I see it as well. And on mine, it doesn't photograph easily (modern cameras tend to automatically compensate for such aberrations and so you need to use a camera with 100% manual settings to really capture it), but it's extremely clear. Might even be getting worse, but that's hard to quantify.

I mentioned it to my wife, who has a great eye for color, and she noticed it immediately. I don't reject the notion that some SP3s don't have it, but every one I've looked at has.