What's new

Poll Yellow streak poll (Model + Lot #)

Does your SP3 have the dreaded yellow streak?

• Total voters

Sassi

i7 256gb lot number 1433 I have it, it's very visible on this site. Though I hadn't noticed it until I saw this post, now it jumps out at me :( I can also see it in the posted pictures.

mikejg

My Surface has a faint bright band along the left edge, it's has a yellow tint to it. I don't believe this is a defect. I think this is a normal characteristic of LCD displays and how they distribute, bend and reflect light. I'm not saying it shouldn't bother you, just that I would bet every single LCD of this type will show this. Unless it's particularly bad on your device, don't expect a replacement to be better unless it has a different design of LCD.

I don't think the way the Surface is assembled has anything to do with this. I have noticed this same warm glow along the edge of different LCDs in all types of devices held together both mechanically and with adhesive tape. Right now on my desk I have a Dell U2412 monitor and a Nokia 1520 phone. Both also show uneven lighting on at least one edge with a white or light grey background. This is definitely a different problem then the distinct yellow patches that showed up on earlier Surfaces in areas where the LCD overheated. That would come and go with temperature and could get worse over time if the LCD was permanently damaged.

As for the light bleed at the top corner, I don't think that is normal for the Surface 3. I checked several demo units and the one I bought. None had noticeable light bleed. Mine is about as good as it gets for a large IPS display. The light bleed in the photo here is terrible. I could not live with that. One thing you might want to check is if the body of your unit has been bent. I noticed mine had a slight curve to it. I could straighten it with firm pressure from my fingers. I think the magnesium body is soft and thin enough it can get bent rather easily and it will hold the shape rather than spring back like other materials would. If there was any twisting of the LCD frame that could definitely cause light bleed.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

LCD IPS panels are a crapshoot. Sometimes you get lucky and get an awesome flawless one. Sometimes you have light bleed, yellow streaks and god knows what else. The more flexible the platform, the worse the problem tends to be. I owned an Acer R7 with an absolutely rigid platform and there was no light bleed all. I've owned the SP3 and the Yoga 2 Pro and both had light bleed, the Y2P being worse because of course, it is more flexible.

And that's the risk of returning your model unless the light bleed is so bad is intolerable. There is always the chance the replacement unit will be worse. Unfortunately, opening it in the store is hard because they don't generally let you open the box until you've bought it. Also store lighting is so bright you may not notice light bleed you would get at home.

This is one of the great pluses of the newer super amoled screens as on the Tab S - zero light bleed.

phositadc

My i3 arrived today from Staples (used a $100 coupon so cost was only $699). Was planning on returning my i5-4GB and keeping the i3.

Within 5 minutes of turning it on I noticed an extremely noticeable yellow streak down the side of the screen next to the front facing camera. On my i5 I've never noticed it, and I've never looked for it because I knew that if I saw it, it could not be unseen.

But on the i3 I didn't even have to look for it. It jumped off the screen and was clearly visible even on the black surface pro wallpaper background.

The lot of the defective i3 is 1430. Not sure what the i5 is and don't have the box handy to check. But wow, the yellow streak on the i3 was impossible to miss.

gtext

Not sure if that screen problem has been fixed on later lots but 1430 is getting pretty old now. July 21 to 27 production.
Just returned a lot 1432 to MS for a different screen issue but couldn't see a yellow line on that one. In Australia I see MS sending out lot 1434 SP3's. Same as over here I think the retail stores often have "Old stock" in comparison to MS.
Not sure if the later lots are better but the older ones defiantly appear to have that issue looking at reports.

i3po

LCD IPS panels are a crapshoot. Sometimes you get lucky and get an awesome flawless one. Sometimes you have light bleed, yellow streaks and god knows what else. The more flexible the platform, the worse the problem tends to be. I owned an Acer R7 with an absolutely rigid platform and there was no light bleed all. I've owned the SP3 and the Yoga 2 Pro and both had light bleed, the Y2P being worse because of course, it is more flexible.

And that's the risk of returning your model unless the light bleed is so bad is intolerable. There is always the chance the replacement unit will be worse. Unfortunately, opening it in the store is hard because they don't generally let you open the box until you've bought it. Also store lighting is so bright you may not notice light bleed you would get at home.

This is one of the great pluses of the newer super amoled screens as on the Tab S - zero light bleed.

Right, but at that point couldn't you just ask for a replacement if there is a screen problem. You did buy it after all.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Just stopped by 2 Best Buys in my area. Every single display model has the yellow streak. So discouraging.

Len J

Just stopped by 2 Best Buys in my area. Every single display model has the yellow streak. So discouraging.

I wonder what percent of the population can see the light spectrum that exposes the yellow steak that is being complained about.

I've shown the pictures posted here that are intended to show the streak to about 75 people and only 2 of them saw the yellow. The rest were "what streak?"
small test but interesting.

Len

raqball

My previous SP3 had it but it was very faint. My replacement SP3 does not have it as far as I can tell / see..

I don't see this as an issue at all..

Maximus3D

As i'm not yet a owner of a Surface Pro 3, but hopefully soon i cannot report back on any issues with this yellow streak.

What i can say from my observations in this thread is that there is still a minority of total members who are affected by this , the percentage seems to be way below 10% totally which falls within normal expected faulty units in a production line of say one million units produced by Microsoft.

The IPS technology in itself is also very sensitive to these types of faults plus you have that combined with the new complex stack of glass, display, N-Trig layers and more which all makes up for the ultrathin displaystack. A fault percentage around 10% of total units produced is expected, not that we like that fact but it's the way it is.

/ Magnus