What's new

Yellow stripe at top of screen getting worse

Adrain

Hi All,

Has anyone else experienced the yellow discoloration at the top (opposite the Windows button) of the screen getting worse over time?

I am about 8 weeks into my SP3 (and love all of it bar the yellow stripe) and when I purchased it the discolouration was barely noticeable but now it seems to be noticeable on virtually everything.

Think I am heading towards a warranty replacement but am loathed to change given in every other respect this i7/256 has been perfect.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Adrian

bluegrass

I've heard about the infamous yellow stripe. I may have it myself but don't recognize it. I would say that if it bothers you backup you data, refresh you computer and take it back to the store and get a new one. It ain't gonna get better or fix itself and there definitely not any fixes for it in the field that I've heard of.

malberttoo

Hi All,

Has anyone else experienced the yellow discoloration at the top (opposite the Windows button) of the screen getting worse over time?

I am about 8 weeks into my SP3 (and love all of it bar the yellow stripe) and when I purchased it the discolouration was barely noticeable but now it seems to be noticeable on virtually everything.

Think I am heading towards a warranty replacement but am loathed to change given in every other respect this i7/256 has been perfect.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Adrian

Use the search function and search for "yellow" or "stripe" or "strip", you will find a warehouse full of posts on the issue.

It won't get better on it's own, and most folks' gets worse over time.

Replace it.

mitchellvii

Yes my belief is the yellow stripe is a gluing defect. Luck of the draw. My original unit had it, my new unit does not.

If you are beyond the return window the simple solution is just to place your Taskbar over the stripe and make it a dark color - you'll never see the stripe. Yes, bogus but it works.

Kif

I haven't noticed it getting worst. In fact I've kind of forgotten about it. But if it does get noticeable worse I'm calling up Microsoft and they're going to make it right. Clearly a manufacture detect and not do to normal wear and tear.

wynand32

I've gone back and forth on mine. Sometimes it seems much worse to me, sometimes not. Could be brightness level, because I'm talking about with the same apps open.

By the way, in case anyone's confused, while the OP says "the top," meaning in portrait, we've all been talking about the left side in landscape. Maybe I'm the only one, but that threw me for a second.

Mikeyqp

OMG mine has that yellow stripe also. I decided not to buy any of the optional insurances. what are my options? I was one of the early adopters.

OP
A

Adrain

Thanks for all of your replies. After deliberation I have exchanged my unit for a new one.

I have to commend the UK store 'John Lewis' who I bought mine from. I have had it for 7 weeks now and walked in with it in the original packaging. They had a quick look at the screen and agreed and changed it directly for a new one. Delighted!

New one seems fine and is batch 1439 so we'll see how this one does. Now for the 2Gb of updates to get it current.

Thanks
Adrian

OP
A

Adrain

OMG mine has that yellow stripe also. I decided not to buy any of the optional insurances. what are my options? I was one of the early adopters.

Mike,

As far as I am concerned it is a manufacturing defect and should be covered by warranty. I only sought advice here just to make sure that I wasn't being overly demanding.

Mine had started as a very pale and thin stripe which I put down to backlighting on the screen but after about 7 weeks it was the height of the screen (in portrait mode/opposite the windows button) and about 1/4 inch thick.

Cheers
Adrian

Kif

Ok, the yellowish bar is starting to get to me. What action have people taken and what was the result of that action?