What's new

Yipes! My RT won't start!

kutch47

I bought an RT on eBay, and exactly 31 days later it will not boot-up. It was a re-conditioned model.
Any suggestions about how to fix it or return it?
The power cord light is on. No previous problems.
HELP!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hold the Volume Down Rocker and press the Power Button wait a couple of specs and it should boot. You may need this while plugged in.....

demandarin

I also bought a manufacturer refurbished from eBay. 64gb for only $249. First thing I did was to register it for warranty. So I'm good now. I'd suggest you do the same as if the suggested fix doesn't work, you could put in a warranty claim for it.

OP
K

kutch47

Hold the Volume Down Rocker and press the Power Button wait a couple of specs and it should boot. You may need this while plugged in.....
Wow!!! I tried the Down Rocker and Power Button and it was like magic! It came on after a few attempts. I was amazed to see "Surface" appear so magically again, 'cause I thought it was a gonner.
Thank you, Jeff, you've made an old man happy.
Dave
ps Where did you learn this voodoo? And, how do I "like" you!

OP
K

kutch47

Nice price for the 64gb.
I think I registered it with MS, if that is who you did it for the warranty. Not sure. I received the updates, which I think means that it is under warranty. I have been wondering how MS would handle a refurbished RT that goes bad. My 30 day return policy with the ebay vender ended yesterday, exactly 31 days after I received it.

demandarin

glad to hear you got it back running by forcing a reboot/boot up. just like android devices. I signed up for warranty through Microsoft. you have to go to their website and register your device by entering in the serial number.

OP
K

kutch47

glad to hear you got it back running by forcing a reboot/boot up. just like android devices. I signed up for warranty through Microsoft. you have to go to their website and register your device by entering in the serial number.

It is now registered! Thank you for the help.