What's new

Your Advice: Win 8 Pro + Office 365

Arizona Willie

Actually, kristalsoldier, you can drag the Window 7 type desktop to a second monitor. I have had metro on one monitor and the old fashioned desktop on my second monitor -- no problem at all.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Actually, kristalsoldier, you can drag the Window 7 type desktop to a second monitor. I have had metro on one monitor and the old fashioned desktop on my second monitor -- no problem at all.

Yes, I recently discovered that. But the problem has been is that I can't seem to dedicate the desktop to one monitor - specifically the external monitor - and the Modern UI to the laptop monitor. Say I drag the desktop to the external and the Modern UI to the laptop screen. Now, I try to open Word, it immediately opens the desktop in both monitors. I then have to revert to the Modern UI on the laptop monitor. Ideally, what I'd like to do is to dedicate one monitor to each desktop version - Win7 style and the Modern Style. This way, when I open a desktop app (like Office), then it would open only on that monitor without affecting the second monitor. To be able to choose this behaviour (four possible options - Modern UI on both monitors; Desktop on both monitors; and, desktop or Modern UI on one or the other monitor) would be also be ideal! I hope I was able to explain what I mean!

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

OK...Here is another question about Office 365. To start with, I should let you guys know that I am now running Win 8 Pro on my laptop (R400) and it works very well. Still learning my way around the new OS though I like the way it syncs with the Surface! Now, about Office 365. I already have Office 2010 on my machine. If I sign up for O365, what happens to that installation? And, do any of you use O365 with your Surface - specifically, the RT? If yes, is your use of O365 on the Surface RT restricted to areas where you have connectivity? And, how does that work with the version of Office that comes preinstalled with the RT?

HD_Dude

Kristal...you might have missed this when I edited my comment above:

Edit: I'm as interested in all this as you are, so I dug deeper on the web, and found this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/home-and-student/office-home-student-rt-FX103790095.aspx

It says Office Home & Student 2013 RT is all you can use, and actually states, and I quote: "Other versions of Office cannot be installed on Windows RT devices."

Darn.

Office 365 is not in the Cloud, it's an actual downloaded software suite. So, I do not believe there's any way it'll work on the RT.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Kristal...you might have missed this when I edited my comment above:

Edit: I'm as interested in all this as you are, so I dug deeper on the web, and found this:

Office Home & Student RT - Office.com

It says Office Home & Student 2013 RT is all you can use, and actually states, and I quote: "Other versions of Office cannot be installed on Windows RT devices."

Darn.

Office 365 is not in the Cloud, it's an actual downloaded software suite. So, I do not believe there's any way it'll work on the RT.

Sort of. Here is the link I think you actually want to check out Use Office 365 on your Windows RT device - office365 suite - Office.com :)

Last edited:

HD_Dude

I see what you mean.

You can't install Office 365 on an RT...so you're still going to be using Office 2013 RT. But the mail, portal and networking/collaboration features of Office 365 can work.

Thanks for posting. This helps.

Even though I have the Pro, I'm still thinking about going RT also. Had one briefly; loved it.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Sort of. Here is the link I think you actually want to check out Use Office 365 on your Windows RT device - office365 suite - Office.com :)

Thanks! This is not good because it requires a data connection, which is fine as long as I am drifting around my usual haunts, but if I travel outside those confines, then there would be a problem! Hmmmm....Interesting also that MS has no discount features on the regular Office 2013 versions unlike what it has on Office 365.

Edit: I think I'll pass on Office 365 for now. On reviewing (again) the differences between Office 2010 and Office 2013, I'm not sure the latter is worth it at the moment. Maybe I should look at getting a stand-alone Outlook 2010 module and use that in conjunction with the version of Office that I already have - but then again, it leave the RT out of the loop - aside from the RDP option (which may not always be viable).

Edit 2: Oh my...I guess a stand-alone Outlook 2010 option will also not work. Apparently, the following does not work if you install Outlook 2010 as a stand-alone:

Themes
Automatic formatting of bulleted and numbered lists
Automatic formatting of tables
Proofing tools like the dictionary and thesaurus
SmartArt graphics drawing, charting, and diagramming tools
Captions
Equation Builder
WordArt

Why? See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509316

Not willing to go through all the hoops to get this.

Last edited:
OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I see what you mean.

You can't install Office 365 on an RT...so you're still going to be using Office 2013 RT. But the mail, portal and networking/collaboration features of Office 365 can work.

Thanks for posting. This helps.

Even though I have the Pro, I'm still thinking about going RT also. Had one briefly; loved it.

After last evening where I successful in my experimenting with RDP (and the setting up of Home Groups), I am now even more thrilled with the RT. For me - and I can only speak for myself - the RT is nicely balanced in terms of price, capability, mobility, quality etc. I just hope MS does not drop the ball on the RT.