What's new

Your feedback needed on new case and adjustable stand

Would you buy this case+adjustable stand for the Surface for $20-$30?

• Yes

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Maybe (Needs more work)

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

chrisleung

Hi everyone,

I've created a "Smart Case" for the Microsoft Surface that can both adjust the display angle and unfold into a hard, protective case. I would love to get your feedback.

Here is a 2-minute demo:
[video=youtube;KY5lAmX_G-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5lAmX_G-0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY5lAmX_G-0[/video]

If there is enough interest, I am leaning towards creating a Kickstarter or bringing the case directly to market. Of course, this depends on whether people like this case.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

I'll also be posting updates at smartsurfacecase.com.

Sincerely,
Chris

oion

Hmm, looks interesting. I like the multiple angles, and the triangle setup means good stability as well. And it doesn't look like it gets in the way of the keyboard like so many other cases do.

Two points right now:

* Looks like this is for the Pro? Would there be an RT version, or is there enough leeway that it could fit both?

* There is one angle that looks like a bit of "origami fiddling." Perhaps fewer total angles would work better in terms of simplicity, because I don't believe people like fiddly accessories, but would still give more options than other cases. Maybe 22 (default), 33, 49? (I'm not counting the 80-something one since it's so close to 90. :p) The Surface already has a great screen to work with a broader range of viewing angles.

demandarin

I like this case. Looks minimalistic and fits the pro well. The various angles are a plus also. Some of the angles look like you have to fiddle around to get to but I guess that's the nature of this origami type case. I'm sure this is alot lighter than my moko rotary case. Its also great that the keyboard doesn't get in the way and can fold back. Unlike my moko where of I flip the keyboard back it detaches.

Overall looks like a good case. Swede on the interior a plus also. Would be even better if it came in various colors or patterns. Glad to see people wanting to make more accessories for the pro. Having a loop for the pen good idea also. My moko rotary one has a loop. But it does add some bulk to an already bulky device.

Keep up the great work.

beman39

23 views and only 2 votes, myself included, man people you need to participate more instead of bloody lurking all the time! lol this guy needs your feedbacks/advice to help him make his case better and the more better products for our Surface the better for us!... now, as for myself I agree with the posters up top and I find it looks like a great product but it's a little too much folding I find and it might get people turned away from your case! some people even might find it too complicated. here is a example of what might go through some ones mind... fold...fold again...eh? folded too much? why is it not working? am I supposed to fold it that way or this way? lol get what I mean? dunno if I make sense lol

oion

23 views and only 2 votes, myself included, man people you need to participate more instead of bloody lurking all the time!

In the United States, school is starting across the country and Labor Day 3-day weekend is a big shopping and last-minute vacation time. Half my coworkers took today off. I expect there will simply be less participation overall in all the online venues I frequent (working adults with children and whatnot). Not to mention the vast majority of users for a tech product don't even use forums in general. Given the niche-ness of Surface and niche-ness of Kickstarter together, it'll take time and a ton more social networking to get the word out.

Edit: I didn't vote because I can't say I would buy it, though the price is reasonable; I like my Surface RT with only a decal and might get a totally minimalist sleeve (really don't like adding bulk).

Last edited:

Transformer

Well I have just ordered a case but certainly would have considered this one if available, especially if available in colours other than black. Trying to buy a case is a pain. The ones on eBay have virtually no info, and 2 I tried to buy on Amazon would not ship to Canada and were not available on the Amazon Canada site. So even though your case looks great the nuts and bolts of marketing are important.

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

Hmm, looks interesting. I like the multiple angles, and the triangle setup means good stability as well. And it doesn't look like it gets in the way of the keyboard like so many other cases do.

Two points right now:

* Looks like this is for the Pro? Would there be an RT version, or is there enough leeway that it could fit both?

* There is one angle that looks like a bit of "origami fiddling." Perhaps fewer total angles would work better in terms of simplicity, because I don't believe people like fiddly accessories, but would still give more options than other cases. Maybe 22 (default), 33, 49? (I'm not counting the 80-something one since it's so close to 90. :p) The Surface already has a great screen to work with a broader range of viewing angles.

Hi Oion, thanks for your feedback!
* Good eye! That is a Surface Pro in the video. Yes, I would like to make a RT version by making the two side panels narrower by 4 millimeters. The RT is just 4mm thinner than the Pro, and all the other dimensions remain the same. I think the case in the video will be a little loose on the RT, but will give it a shot.
* I see what you're saying about the fiddling. I added magnets into the panels to help pull them into place, unfortunately I was a little nervous when making the video so you can't really see this effect well. The case took a little getting used to at first but I'm much faster at deploying it now.
* I also understand what you're saying about reducing the angles if that would reduce fiddling. Will knock my brain.. Let me know if you think of any ways to accomplish this. :D I use the 33 and 49 degree angles the most.

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

I like this case. Looks minimalistic and fits the pro well. The various angles are a plus also. Some of the angles look like you have to fiddle around to get to but I guess that's the nature of this origami type case. I'm sure this is alot lighter than my moko rotary case. Its also great that the keyboard doesn't get in the way and can fold back. Unlike my moko where of I flip the keyboard back it detaches.

Overall looks like a good case. Swede on the interior a plus also. Would be even better if it came in various colors or patterns. Glad to see people wanting to make more accessories for the pro. Having a loop for the pen good idea also. My moko rotary one has a loop. But it does add some bulk to an already bulky device.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks for your feedback demandarin! I agree with you on the multiple color options.

I was thinking this case could be offered in the same colors as the touch covers (cyan, red, pink, white). What do you think? Any other ideas?

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

23 views and only 2 votes, myself included, man people you need to participate more instead of bloody lurking all the time! lol this guy needs your feedbacks/advice to help him make his case better and the more better products for our Surface the better for us!... now, as for myself I agree with the posters up top and I find it looks like a great product but it's a little too much folding I find and it might get people turned away from your case! some people even might find it too complicated. here is a example of what might go through some ones mind... fold...fold again...eh? folded too much? why is it not working? am I supposed to fold it that way or this way? lol get what I mean? dunno if I make sense lol

Hey beman, thanks for your feedback, I understand what you're saying. The case definitely takes some getting used to at first but it becomes much easier, once you know where the magnets are, the panels snap right together. I didn't demonstrate this very well in the video unfortunately.

Will keep thinking of ways to make the case easier to deploy! Let me know if you have any other feedback besides the folding.

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

Well I have just ordered a case but certainly would have considered this one if available, especially if available in colours other than black. Trying to buy a case is a pain. The ones on eBay have virtually no info, and 2 I tried to buy on Amazon would not ship to Canada and were not available on the Amazon Canada site. So even though your case looks great the nuts and bolts of marketing are important.

Transformer, I totally agree with you about the marketing and making the case easy to buy. Can you tell me what other colors you would be interested in? Same colors as the touch covers?