What's new

Your feedback needed on new case and adjustable stand

Would you buy this case+adjustable stand for the Surface for $20-$30?

• Yes

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Maybe (Needs more work)

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

machistmo

I would think offering custom images on the cases would be great too. Not sure how easy that would be for you with the website problems that would pose as well as production etc.. Maybe an upscale model with some custom stuff like higher end materials? Colors are a great idea. Remember these people sprung 1300 bucks for a tablet, they can afford 50 or more for the real-deal case that suits them... I love your choices of angles, but the 89 degrees should just lay flat or was that one of those things that happened by accident?

Have you appraoched MS about offering them bundled with new units? The base models? Then offer the nicer materials for those that love the function and want a more stylish form? Remember this is Amurca, where mine has to be shinier than the next doods. Either way more power to you.

Last edited:
OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

I would think offering custom images on the cases would be great too. Not sure how easy that would be for you with the website problems that would pose as well as production etc.. Maybe an upscale model with some custom stuff like higher end materials? Colors are a great idea. Remember these people sprung 1300 bucks for a tablet, they can afford 50 or more for the real-deal case that suits them... I love your choices of angles, but the 89 degrees should just lay flat or was that one of those things that happened by accident?

Have you appraoched MS about offering them bundled with new units? The base models? Then offer the nicer materials for those that love the function and want a more stylish form? Remember this is Amurca, where mine has to be shinier than the next doods. Either way more power to you.

Great suggestions.. Customization is indeed very hot right now. Will be looking into whether there is a way to print onto the polyurethane or other protective cover material. Regarding the 83 degree angle, yes, kind of just happened. :)

Regarding approaching MS, I am working on it but haven't connected to anyone on the Surface team yet. If you know anyone at MS that might be able to help, I would love to get in touch with them.

Thanks again for your feedback Machistmo!

machistmo

Ah well 83 degrees is a special angle and you should come up with 2 mayhbe 3 good reasons why its so special, then call it a design breakthrough and you're well on your to being Apple.

Omni

Love the design of this I've seen iPad ones before and thought a surface one wouldn't work with the stand but you've proven it can. I would defiantly buy one.

Ruffles

If this case was available when I first bought my Pro, I would have bought it. Now, I've gotten used to a skin and the type cover. I'm planing on buying a Pro 2 when it's released so I don't know if I want to spend money now on a device that I might not have much longer. It looks like a nice case however.

Omni

If this case was available when I first bought my Pro, I would have bought it. Now, I've gotten used to a skin and the type cover. I'm planing on buying a Pro 2 when it's released so I don't know if I want to spend money now on a device that I might not have much longer. It looks like a nice case however.

That's a good point about the next surface been released soon. I would bet high it will have a kick stand but this close to announcement it might be worth seeing of you can get the same case to fit all surfaces new and old.

oion

That's a good point about the next surface been released soon. I would bet high it will have a kick stand but this close to announcement it might be worth seeing of you can get the same case to fit all surfaces new and old.

"Soon"(tm) is a relative term... it would be bad for Microsoft if they announced "soon" while still trying to move 1st gen units and then have those potential sales become zero, especially with school starting right now (for the U.S.). Everything on the Internats pertaining to release dates are pure rumor, as far as I know. Not necessarily a good thing.

One thing I might expect with SPro2 is that dropped hint so many months ago from MS that said the magnetic keyboard connectors (at least on Pro) could carry current--implying it's possible for them to engineer a heavier keyboard with secondary battery. If that is true, I wouldn't expect the SPro2 to change basic form factor overmuch, which means a case like OP's that doesn't impede the keyboard at all should work the same. This is conjecture, of course.

While I really like the idea of a minimalist multi-angle case, a case will always add bulk. As it stands, my RT with Type keyboard fits snugly in the padded pocket of my small travel backpack. If this folding case didn't go around "three" times, but maybe only two with an elastic band or something, it could be thinner? I don't know. :) But the two additional 33/48 degree angles seem to be a sweet spot, particularly for actual "lap" top use.

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

Thanks for your feedback!

A friend of mine who works at Microsoft hinted to me that the next Surface will have two kickstand angles. If that's true, then a case like this could still be useful in offering additional besides the standard angles of the new kickstand.. plus a cover. What do you think?

I just posted two other videos you may find useful:

Using the case on my lap:
[video=youtube;IGqh2JtXbEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGqh2JtXbEM[/video]

Shake test:
[video=youtube;rHaiI8Pz0Gw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHaiI8Pz0Gw[/video]
(Someone was worried that the Surface might fall of the case out when it's in their backpack, so I recorded this video).

Last edited:

oion

Hi Chris,

I can't watch these at work so I will when I get home, but the two-angle SPro2 "hinted," huh? Watch as your comment goes viral. :p

Anyway, additional angles to whatever "two" on the forthcoming SPRo2 would still be good, I imagine, especially when the kickstand in general is not lap-friendly, and the extra triangular base looks more comfortable. Not to mention for an expensive piece of kit like this, I expect many to want a case anyway despite bulk. Since mine is the cheaper RT, I don't particularly care as much.

I didn't expect the Surface would slip out of your case given how the kickstand itself slips into a 3-sided pocket, but it's good to clarify in visuals anyway. :)

demandarin

I like the 2 new videos. I want this case. I'd easily buy one and support your venture based on the simple fact of you coming here and interacting with the consumer on feedback on how to make it better. More vendors need to be like you. I can see this type of minimalistic case selling alot. MS should make a deal with you and include this with every surface. Just like include a keyboard also. Watch sales take off then ;)

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

Hi Chris,

I can't watch these at work so I will when I get home, but the two-angle SPro2 "hinted," huh? Watch as your comment goes viral. :p

Anyway, additional angles to whatever "two" on the forthcoming SPRo2 would still be good, I imagine, especially when the kickstand in general is not lap-friendly, and the extra triangular base looks more comfortable. Not to mention for an expensive piece of kit like this, I expect many to want a case anyway despite bulk. Since mine is the cheaper RT, I don't particularly care as much.

I didn't expect the Surface would slip out of your case given how the kickstand itself slips into a 3-sided pocket, but it's good to clarify in visuals anyway. :)

The last article I read said the new surface will have two angles (echoing what my friend at MS hinted), with the new angle making it "easier to use on uneven surfaces". So it sounds like the new surface will have a default angle (hopefully adjusted a little bit lower based on everyone's complaints) and then another angle for using on say, using on your lap. In my opinion however, it still doesn't sound like enough adaptability to just provide one angle for two different situations.

A few articles also mention that the dimensions will be identical to the Surface 1, which is good news for this case!

It was good to do the shake test, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the case didn't come unlatched and my Surface didn't fly out and hit the wall. :)

oion

The last article I read said the new surface will have two angles (echoing what my friend at MS hinted), with the new angle making it "easier to use on uneven surfaces". So it sounds like the new surface will have a default angle (hopefully adjusted a little bit lower based on everyone's complaints) and then another angle for using on say, using on your lap. In my opinion however, it still doesn't sound like enough adaptability to just provide one angle for two different situations.

A few articles also mention that the dimensions will be identical to the Surface 1, which is good news for this case!

It was good to do the shake test, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the case didn't come unlatched and my Surface didn't fly out and hit the wall. :)

Per the shake test, that does remind me of the official Surface drop test on the Surface Youtube channel... the funny "oh, okay, still recording" bit at the end of the clip was great.

I think the only issue that could throw a wrench into your design proposal is that we don't know what the two new Surface angles are. The 20 is a given, I think, but if the second one is very close to one of yours, that's a bit redundant. On the other hand, perhaps the actual covering function will negate the redundancy dilution for some folks.

A couple more comments about the existing design: Would it maybe be possible to have the case fold such that the backside is perpendicular to the table when the Surface is in its 20-degree native slant? That way it wouldn't occupy any additional depth on, say, an airplane tray. Also, perhaps having color-coded or labeled folds would help with matching the origami bits to different angles, I don't know...