What's new

Your feedback needed on new case and adjustable stand

Would you buy this case+adjustable stand for the Surface for $20-$30?

• Yes

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • Maybe (Needs more work)

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

Per the shake test, that does remind me of the official Surface drop test on the Surface Youtube channel... the funny "oh, okay, still recording" bit at the end of the clip was great.

I think the only issue that could throw a wrench into your design proposal is that we don't know what the two new Surface angles are. The 20 is a given, I think, but if the second one is very close to one of yours, that's a bit redundant. On the other hand, perhaps the actual covering function will negate the redundancy dilution for some folks.

A couple more comments about the existing design: Would it maybe be possible to have the case fold such that the backside is perpendicular to the table when the Surface is in its 20-degree native slant? That way it wouldn't occupy any additional depth on, say, an airplane tray. Also, perhaps having color-coded or labeled folds would help with matching the origami bits to different angles, I don't know...

Thanks oion for all the great feedback.

-Possibility of Redundant Angles with Surface 2: True, so we will have to wait and see. The good news is that we can make a new case with new viewing angles for the Surface 2; the case's viewing angles can be changed by modifying the proportional of the size of each panel.

-Hide Case Backside when Kickstand is Deployed: Yes! Actually, the case can already fold up to take less space. Will plan to demo this in a video.

-Color-Coded or Labeled Folds: Very good suggestion, I've been thinking about this problem too. How about we initially put stickers that are colored / numbered on each panel, then once the user gets the hang of it, they can remove the stickers?

NGC

My only dislike is the thickness of the case. Is this the only material that can be used? Design excellent and I would purchase one.

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

My only dislike is the thickness of the case. Is this the only material that can be used? Design excellent and I would purchase one.

Hey NGC, the case is currently 1/12 of an inch (between 2-3 millimeters) thick, which is about the same as the iPad smart cover.

If we're lucky, I'll be able to shave off another millimeter, but this depends a lot on the magnets, as they need to be strong enough to hold everything together.

I plan to create a new prototype and do more testing soon. In other words, will try my best!

Do you have any recommendations or examples of other thinner cases/material that can be used?

oion

Thanks oion for all the great feedback.

-Possibility of Redundant Angles with Surface 2: True, so we will have to wait and see. The good news is that we can make a new case with new viewing angles for the Surface 2; the case's viewing angles can be changed by modifying the proportional of the size of each panel.

-Hide Case Backside when Kickstand is Deployed: Yes! Actually, the case can already fold up to take less space. Will plan to demo this in a video.

-Color-Coded or Labeled Folds: Very good suggestion, I've been thinking about this problem too. How about we initially put stickers that are colored / numbered on each panel, then once the user gets the hang of it, they can remove the stickers?

Per the last note, I would be concerned about using adhesives, since so many aren't "temporary" in nature especially if both the front and back of your case aren't completely smooth. Here are a couple random ideas for notation, I think: permanent coloring on the panels (maybe so they "match up" to create an angle? at least it would look unique, but maybe business users want plain ol' black), glued or ironed or otherwise permanent small markers on the panels that might say only the degree angle when deployed, or sewn tags that when face up (or whatever) indicate the deployed angle. But, if you use adhesive stickers that don't leave any residue, that would probably work just as well. Or, thinking about the magnets... what about colored snaps? I don't know how much thickness that might introduce, but colored snaps could address both "where do I fold the panels" and "how stable will the panels stick together." Just an idea. :)

As for the covering material, I assume it'd be smooth polyurethane or vinyl? Leather may not be an option at the price point. (I don't suppose there are green alternatives in terms of the compound production--vinyl is quite toxic to produce with the after-waste, from what I remember.)

revmike

I for one don't like the colored panels idea, I like the uniform color. Folding the case does not look that difficult and with practice I believe a person could become proficient.

oion

I for one don't like the colored panels idea, I like the uniform color. Folding the case does not look that difficult and with practice I believe a person could become proficient.

That makes sense also, but considering how so many people didn't even give Windows 8's semi-new interface a chance within one hour of usage, the less of a complexity barrier on an accessory, the better--I'm not arguing there must be notation, that is, but pointing out how the general market has reacted to new/change/different/"complicated" things when the competition is ostensibly much less fiddly to use. If an accessory product of this nature is going to compete, then you have to think about what it's competing against.

TheMexicanCowboy

I am in love with the design of this case and would not hesitate in buying it, or helping in a kickstarter. My only question is how the thickness of the case would affect using it with a sleeve. Probably redundant and stupid but I'm in love with my surface and am very overprotective about it. Just wondering weather the case would let it fit in a sleeve like incipio sleeves.

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

As for the covering material, I assume it'd be smooth polyurethane or vinyl? Leather may not be an option at the price point. (I don't suppose there are green alternatives in terms of the compound production--vinyl is quite toxic to produce with the after-waste, from what I remember.)

Thanks for the ideas. The covering material is polyurethane, which I think is an awesome material -- abrasion, impact, temperature and water resistant. Leather is definitely an option as well.

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

I am in love with the design of this case and would not hesitate in buying it, or helping in a kickstarter. My only question is how the thickness of the case would affect using it with a sleeve. Probably redundant and stupid but I'm in love with my surface and am very overprotective about it. Just wondering weather the case would let it fit in a sleeve like incipio sleeves.

Good question! Will be good to do "compatibility testing" in the future for people who have sleeves. If the sleeve fits both the RT and the Pro and you are using the RT, then I think the chances are good. But if it's specifically designed for either the RT or the Pro, then it is probably a tighter fit and will need to be tested.

For now the best way for you to test this would be to wrap something around your Surface that's about 1/12 of an inch thick (say a few pages of newspaper, or a layer of cardboard) and see if it all is able to fit into your sleeve.

SEANT

Despite the new angle choice built in to the Surface 2s, I still think other angle options will be appreciated. These devices (Surfaces) are shaping up to be extremely versatile. It is not hard to imagine their use through more than 10 hrs a day as people use them for work and play. That length of time will require numerous posture changes. Desk work, easy chair, lying on side in bed . . . .

And as I speculated in this thread:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-2/6029-surface-2-killer-app.html

The Surface 2 looks to become the ultimate field work devise. It might be wise to expect “standing” to be a common posture.

Perhaps it would be worth developing a product that would serve as a mobile platform; something that wraps over the shoulder to position a platform just below the sternum. Most of us grunts in the field are not overly concerned about appearances – though it may pay dividends if the wearable desk were stylish - as musicians, directors of stage show lighting, etc. have a more rigid sense of fashion.

OP
chrisleung

chrisleung

Hi Seant, awesome feedback, thanks. Interesting idea -- maybe an additional strap attachment to this case?

Otherwise, I believe I'm of the same thinking you are. Here's how things stand in my opinion.
- New kickstand has only two angles. The original angle is unchanged -- this is the angle people complain about being too steep. The new angle is for lap use.
- Dimensions of the new Surface is the same = this case is cross compatible
- This case allows the new Surface to be adjusted at 6 possible angles, and notably includes an even lower angle that the new kickstand can't reach, which is better for using on your lap -- demo: Demo (Use on Lap) - Adjustable Stand & Case for Microsoft Surface - YouTube

Maximum adjustability + minimal, compact and lightweight design of the case, I think there's still a good use for it.

Just my opinion though -- would love to hear all feedback, especially the negative feedback. Thanks everyone.