What's new

Your Phone App: Ringtone and Call quality terrible on Surface Pro X?

bradavon

Hi,

Anyone help with this? Thanks.

Windows 10 version: 1909 (Build: 18363.815)
Your Phone App version: 1.20041.85.0
Your Phone Companion Link to Windows app version: 1.20041.82.0
Link to Windows Service version: 1.0.5.2.30

Samsung Galaxy S10: Android 10 / OneUI 2.1

It worked fine using my Surface Pro 4 but on my new Surface Pro X the Ringtone and Call Quality through the Your Phone app are terrible: Constant crackling, tapping whatever you want to call it. Kind of like coins being dropped.

All other aspects of Your Phone work wonderfully.

I've tried:

Phone:
  1. Bluetooth: Unpairing the Surface Pro X
  2. Your Phone Companion App: Clearing Application Data/Cache
Surface Pro X:
  • Settings -> Bluetooth: Unpairing the phone
  • Settings -> Phone: Unlinking the phone
  • Settings -> Apps: Your Phone App: Repair and Reset
I then set it all up again which went through all fine.

I've also tried:

• Device Manager -> All Bluetooth Drivers -> Update Driver
  • Paired a Bluetooth speaker to my Surface Pro X. This works fine.
I suspect the issue is related to the Your Phone App and Bluetooth but don't know where to check next?

I suspect this because because of the crackling noise over bluetooth that's happening.

Thanks

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Seems like nobody else is experiencing this. Do Bluetooth headphones work okay? Trying to isolate whether the problem is with the phone or the Surface ...

OP
B

bradavon

Hi,

I wonder how popular the Surface Pro X. It's quite new. It didn't happen on my Surface Pro 4, which is Intel of course, and it's the Surface Pro X making the noise.

I can try thanks. That would still be a bluetooth connection from the phone to the surface Pro X, but then a bluetooth connection from the Surface Pro X to the headphones.

The YourPhone Windows app recently got updated to 1.20041.88.0 but I cannot find anything online about it and no one has called me since :D.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
What I mean is, do you hear distortion using any other Bluetooth devices, not any other device along with your phone.

OP
B

bradavon

Hi,

Oh I see. I paired a Bluetooth speaker to my Surface Pro X. This works fine. Nothing like the same kind of distortion.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. Now try this:

1. Use Your Phone Companion app
2. Open Settings, System, Sound, then click on Advanced Sound Options (Customize app volumes and the speakers or devices they use)
3. See if you can make adjustments for the Phone Companion app there

OP
B

bradavon

Do you mean the Your Phone Companion Android app?

I don' think Android apps appear in that list?

If you mean the Your Phone Windows app it doesn't appear :(. Do you think I should try reducing the "Microphone (Galaxy S10 Hands-Free HF Audio"?

1588986902863.png

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@bradavon,

You may find a hint here:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Pro X and I'm not experiencing the issue you describe; it rings like any other telephony service and sounds like a Bluetooth speaker phone.

OP
B

bradavon

@bradavon,

You may find a hint here:
Thanks. This looks like it could certainly be related. I'm going to ask a friend to call me to test it.