What's new

Your preferred resolution

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can't have external monitors run at a different scale than the actual Surface. In addition, you must log out each time you change the scaling.

With the slider it uses an algorithm based on Screen Size/Resolution to Auto Scale, so on my 10.6" 1080p Surface Screen it selects 150% on my 24" 1080p external display with an extended display it selects 100%, this is with the Slider all the way to the right. It does maintain ICON Size between the two as much as possible.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I can do that on my SFPro2, stock Windows....

However, I can clearly see it's just running everything at 1.5x then scaling down on the external monitor, making it look slightly blurry.

But I was actually impressed about how nice scaling works on Windows these days.

On Apps that look blurry, go into the Compatibility Tab of the .exe or shortcut and Disable Scaling, and it won't be blurry.

OP
xramz

xramz

Does anyone use the touch UI for chrome?
Using 1080p res and i find chrome pretty small so I decided to try the touch UI, but it's just really weird and big when I use an external monitor :/

jefhart

With the slider it uses an algorithm based on Screen Size/Resolution to Auto Scale, so on my 10.6" 1080p Surface Screen it selects 150% on my 24" 1080p external display with an extended display it selects 100%, this is with the Slider all the way to the right. It does maintain ICON Size between the two as much as possible.

Really? I always use duplicate, maybe that's my problem.

OP
xramz

xramz

I tried this, didn't seem to work :/

Also, does anyone use the setting to make apps smaller or do you just leave it at default. I think one setting in the middle would be perfect ><"

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tried this, didn't seem to work :/

Also, does anyone use the setting to make apps smaller or do you just leave it at default. I think one setting in the middle would be perfect ><"

What do you mean it doesn't work? A quick check is use Desktop IE, open on the Surface and it should be at 150% then drag it to the external and it should change to 100% (Tools Icon - Zoom).

I leave the default on Apps...

OP
xramz

xramz

When I used the slider, both screens scaled the same, both were at 150% for example :/

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When I used the slider, both screens scaled the same, both were at 150% for example :/

Extended or Duplicate? What are you using for the external monitor? (USB to VGA/DVI or Mini-DP to HDMI, etc.).