What's new

Your upgrade cycle...

CrippsCorner

1997 - Packard Bell Pentium 1 166Mhz, 16Mb RAM, 2.1Gb HDD (upgraded to 48Mb RAM)
2001 - Home built AMD 550Mhz, 64Mb RAM, 40Gb HDD (upgraded to 1.1Ghz processor)
2005 - Mesh 1.5Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD (upgraded to 160Gb HDD)
2009 - Dell dual-core 2.6Mhz, 3Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD (added 500Gb external HDD)
2013 - Surface Pro!

That's how my computer history has gone... an upgrade every 4 years.

To be honest, I have no idea why anymore lol. It's just the way it's gone.

Now the Surface is my replacement, I'm wondering if I'll continue with my 4 yearly upgrade, or whether I'll just keep buying new Surface models that come out. To be honest I think I'll stick to every 4 years, but we'll see
excited.png
how are you gonna play it?

Codevine

When I need a new one, I'm gonna buy a new one. My desktop PC is now a Little over 4 years old and I might upgrade it pretty soon. The Surface Pro should be enough for >4+ years, too.

Igor

I really can't remember my upgrades any more as everything after my first desktop PC (somewhere around 1997 as well), has been a DIY build. I have generally just upgraded that as parts have failed or occasionally, especially in the early years, if my video card needed a refresh for a new game I wanted to play. I probably haven't touched my current config in about 4 years either though.

Other than that I have a 17" 2010 MacBook Pro and a Surface Pro.

Spaniard

I update every 3 years but I have decided that I must update faster, next time I'll wait only 2 years. Same happens with my mobile phone.

I won't update every year, that's too much Apple LOL

Johntxk

I go through laptops like paper towels but it is one of the advantages of my position at work. I'm the tester of all the new tech and I don't even work in IT. Meanwhile, my PC at work is older and slower than my father in law.

ArnoldC

I don't remember how many upgrades I've been to because work requires it. But now, I'm stuck with my Acer S3 for work, until something interesting and priced right (subjectively) comes along.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

I update every 3 years but I have decided that I must update faster, next time I'll wait only 2 years. Same happens with my mobile phone.

I won't update every year, that's too much Apple LOL

That's interesting! Because I think the need to upgrade decreases each time... as technology gets better, it lasts longer. Why do you feel the need to upgrade more often?

I think the only reason I would do so was if my Surface (or whatever portable computer) was really used for portability. As it is, my Surface is simply a desktop replacement 95% of the time... so getting lighter or thinner etc. with an upgrade isn't really important to me.

Phones... well I always opt for an 18 month contract if there is one, or even a 12 month. My current contract runs out next month, hoping to get some solid information on the iPhone 5S soon!

mitchellvii

Just when you thought you had tech you could keep for a while they come out with ultra HD bendable screens coated with unbreakable sapphire running 100 GHz CPU's made from graphene and 1 million gigabyte crystal memory chips. It all culminates with my perfect robot girlfriend - the ultimate goal of all technological evolution :)

Spaniard

That's interesting! Because I think the need to upgrade decreases each time... as technology gets better, it lasts longer. Why do you feel the need to upgrade more often?

I think the only reason I would do so was if my Surface (or whatever portable computer) was really used for portability. As it is, my Surface is simply a desktop replacement 95% of the time... so getting lighter or thinner etc. with an upgrade isn't really important to me.

Phones... well I always opt for an 18 month contract if there is one, or even a 12 month. My current contract runs out next month, hoping to get some solid information on the iPhone 5S soon!
Everybody must update every x years, where x is inversely proportional to income (to can) and interest about computers (to want). My father lost interest about computers, so he updated after 4 years, 5 years, 7 years... those 7 years with the same computer were a nightmare, but I had no money. I have a high interest about computers and now my income is raising, so I updated after 4 years (second hand desktop computer), 3 years (second hand desktop computer), 3 years (new desktop computer), 3 years (Surface Pro, the most expensive computer I have bought to the date) and next time after 2 years. Each time I wait less time and buy a more expensive one. This is how I feel when I think about my past:
[video=youtube;Xe1a1wHxTyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo[/video]

Krooked

I feel the same way. The need to upgrade continues to decrease with each new purchase. I upgrade my gear based on it's ability to perform well on the programs I use most. I won't upgrade or buy something in order to play a game, but I will upgrade if updates to programs like Painter or Premiere begin to run noticeably slower.

Started with a 286 clone in '87 with a 40 meg drive (as far as windows OS is concerned); there have been countless since. In truth the first was a Commodore 64 in about the '85 time frame with a tape drive. They're all ultimately headed for the junk pile.

Nuspieds

What's interesting is that I'd always buy top-of-the-line ThinkPads so that they can last me 5 years. But now that I've converted to the SP, I guarantee you that my upgrade cycle will be much, much shorter.

I already know I'll be getting the SP2 when it comes out, so I'm sure I'll be on an yearly upgrade cycle at least for the short term.