What's new

YouTube full screen

Hissnsid

Hi,

When I first bought my surface pro (only a week old) I installed Firefox onto it.
When I attempted to watch YouTube videos I was told I needed flash player.
So I installed it.

It worked. However the problem I am experiancing is that when I attempt to go full screen.
The Task Bar will not hide. It shows the Flash Player icon and no matter what I do it will not go away.

Now, I know this must be something to do with Flash Player because I uninstalled Flash Player and then tried to play a video full screen.
Without flash player installed, it for some reason played the You Tube video full screen and the Task Bar was gone. I got the message from the Surface Pro
saying it had made it full screen. I thought I'd fixed it.

Then the next day I tried to use You Tube again. And I got the message saying I needed to install Flash Player.
So I installed Flash Player again hoping that this time everything would be ok.. But no, the Task Bar will not hide.

I then thought it maybe a problem with Firefox. So I installed Google Chrome. But the exact same issue happens with this.
The only browser that will go full screen is IE. But I do not use this browser.

It's driving me round the bend. Can anyone please advise me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

OP
H

Hissnsid

But with the Surface Pro.. I must use IE?

Is it normal behaviour for Firefox and other browser apps to behave like that?
Considering Surface Pro is suppose to be a very near full Windows experience, I never expected to have this
kind of issue just because I'd changed my browser preference.

Can anyone please advise for an actual "fix" for this issue. There has to be a way to make it behave normally without
setting the task bar to auto hide ? ?

thanks

tonyz3

Can anyone please advise for an actual "fix" for this issue. thanks
Sorry i dont use either of them since getting the MS S pro. Not sure if it is their faults it is not working or MS, but my offered solution was metrotube which is very good or use IE.

malberttoo

I have the exact same issue on Chrome as well. Somehow, it is specific to the Pro, maybe something to do with the DPI or something, can't figure it out all.

If you right-click on the taskbar and check "autohide taskbar", so it hides after a few seconds, it will go away during the video. kind of annoying though, as I like mine always present.

Hope it helps.

OP
H

Hissnsid

Yer, not to keen on the auto hide myself.

Wish there was a solution to it. I do prefer Firefox to IE.

mitchellvii

Firefox is not yet optimized for touch. Translation, it kind of sucks on the SP.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

jacksmith

It could be related to Windows DPI settings. Has that changed 100%? Please check this setting.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Firefox is not yet optimized for touch. Translation, it kind of sucks on the SP.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Pretty much this... it's the same with Chrome as well, which is a shame as I much perfer it to IE. But then again, IE does work great on the Surface, so I'll be sticking with that for the time being. I may go back to Chrome when I get round to hooking my external monitor up to it.

PocketfluffAU

Hey, created this account to reply. The problem is from the tablets having a larger than normal font size. If you right click desktop, personalise, display (lower left corner), then change font size to 100% (down from 125%), this will let you have youtube fullscreen in firefox without the taskbar. Though now everything will be slightly smaller.

Hey, created this account to reply. The problem is from the tablets having a larger than normal font size. If you right click desktop, personalise, display (lower left corner), then change font size to 100% (down from 125%), this will let you have youtube fullscreen in firefox without the taskbar. Though now everything will be slightly smaller.

Yep, that worked. Went from 150% to 100%, but everything was super tiny!! Had to switch back.