What's new

YouTube is Introducing 6 Second Un-Skippable Bumper Ads

dgstorm

Editor in Chief

Here's a story from yesterday that we didn't quite get to at the end of the day. YouTube just announced they are planning to implement their new 6 second un-skippable micro-ads. They are called bumper ads and Project Manager Zach Lupei described them as — “a new six-second video format […] ideal for driving incremental reach and frequency, especially on mobile, where “snackable videos” perform well.”

Luepi also shared, “We like to think of Bumper ads as little haikus of video ads – and we’re excited to see what the creative community will do with them." While we appreciate his passion for his job, we can imagine that being un-skippable might irritate YouTube users. You can check out an example of the Bumper ads above. Let us know what you think of them.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would love to see a study performed which investigates how profitable these kinds of youtube ads really are for businesses. I'm sure not many people watch an ad when there is a button saying skip.

Personally, when an add appears which cannot be skipped, I focus my attention elsewhere, even if it just checking my phone.

Have any of you ever been "out" and bought something following a youtube ad? Did the ad convince you to buy something, or did you buy it because the ad simply reminded you that you were already considering the product or service?

kundas1

^^ hahaha I do the same thing but I make sure I mute the ad just to "stick it to them" for MAKING me watch that crap! but you mention all good points

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
PC World has or had unstoppable ADs, I just quit going there. They have nothing that's irreplaceable.
The rule of thumb for web site performance is, if it takes longer than 3 seconds to load, the user is gone. Attempting to play a 30 second spot gets an automatic page close. Anything that auto plays especially with sound, closed with prejudice.