What's new

Youtube Video Playback Issue

I'm new to SP3 but I've been using Dell Venue 11 Pro so I'm somewhat familiar with Windows 8.1.

I noticed on my Dell, YouTube 1080p videos play fine using Chrome but buffer often in IE to a point it's almost unwatchable.

Now I'm noticing the same on my new SP3.

Is there some setting or plugin I'm missing? Why is Chrome able to play HD videos without hiccup while IE struggles? I don't like using Chrome on SP3 since it uses a lot more battery compared to IE.

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
N

next_milenium

Here's an example video.

Constant buffering in IE (desktop and Metro) but plays well in Chrome.

Also, buffers a lot in the Metro App I normally use (Hyper for YouTube), which makes me believe both IE and this Hyper app use the same video playback technology while Chrome maybe using something else.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an example video.

Constant buffering in IE (desktop and Metro) but plays well in Chrome.

Also, buffers a lot in the Metro App I normally use (Hyper for YouTube), which makes me believe both IE and this Hyper app use the same video playback technology while Chrome maybe using something else.
Played flawlessly on IE 11 on my SP3 without any buffering or artifacting....

malberttoo

I'm new to SP3 but I've been using Dell Venue 11 Pro so I'm somewhat familiar with Windows 8.1.

I noticed on my Dell, YouTube 1080p videos play fine using Chrome but buffer often in IE to a point it's almost unwatchable.

Now I'm noticing the same on my new SP3.

Is there some setting or plugin I'm missing? Why is Chrome able to play HD videos without hiccup while IE struggles? I don't like using Chrome on SP3 since it uses a lot more battery compared to IE.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hate to say "me too" but it played perfectly on my SP3, using Metro IE...

ctitanic

We have another thread in this forum Where we moved that you can even play 4k without any problems.

OP
N

next_milenium

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

At first I was thinking it's my internet connection (I have ATT DSL with 5Mbps) but then if that's the issue Chrome should have trouble playing 1080p video also. But Chrome plays fine while IE struggles.

daniielrp

Hhhmm well the 1080p playback on my IE and Chrome both show it using 30Mbps worth od bandwidth, so I'm surprised yours is working on Chrome on only 5Mbps.

Right click on the video during playback and check bandwidth on the nerd stats.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hhhmm well the 1080p playback on my IE and Chrome both show it using 30Mbps worth od bandwidth, so I'm surprised yours is working on Chrome on only 5Mbps.

Right click on the video during playback and check bandwidth on the nerd stats.

I call BS on that. I've never had an internet connection above 10mbps and never had an issue streaming 1080p without having to pre-buffer. I can only dream of 30mbps (good old england), although to be honest i've not had an internet connection since september so would settle for anything :p Don't disagree that 5mbps might be pushing it though, however he's stated that under chrome it's always been fine.

daniielrp

I call BS on that. I've never had an internet connection above 10mbps and never had an issue streaming 1080p without having to pre-buffer. I can only dream of 30mbps (good old england), although to be honest i've not had an internet connection since september so would settle for anything :p Don't disagree that 5mbps might be pushing it though, however he's stated that under chrome it's always been fine.

30Mbps is just what Youtube was using (it buffered the whole vid a few seconds) my actual speed is 160Mbps. :p England does have a great advantage in our openness of providers :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
30Mbps is just what Youtube was using (it buffered the whole vid a few seconds) my actual speed is 160Mbps. :p England does have a great advantage in our openness of providers :)

If you live in a major city ;) Back at the family homestead (a small city) regardless of ISP choice, i can't get anything more than 10 no matter what is paid. At the other family home it caps out at 2mbps. Although i'd rather 2mbps than pay the utterly absurd bills the yanks have to pay, i've never been able to fathom how people can willingly pay so much money for some tv and internet.

My point though is that i've never had more than 10mbps, and never had an issue streaming 1080p youtube videos (granted i've never used IE before until i got this SP3, the same time that i stopped having internet). My experience seems to indicate that bandwidth isn't the issue here.