What's new

You've got the pOO000WWWEEEER - PowerCover for Surface Pro 1 and 2 coming Mach 19

beq

I just wish it was based on the Type Cover 1!! I TOTALLY prefer the touchpad on the 1 to the 2, and that alone would be reason for me to ignore the lack of backlight and buy the Power Cover. However, if the images on the MS store are correct, it appears the Power Cover is a Type 2 keyboard/touchpad minus the backlight... very very disappointing.

I also agree, I like the Type Cover 1's tactile touchpad buttons, non-fabric material, and deeper keystroke travel. Would have been awesome if the Power Cover took those features and combined them with backlit keys :D

Some dude commented on that Verge article:

"
EthanEmerald

I am on the phone with Microsoft right now and they have checked and confirmed it IS backlit!
"

Would explain the function keys...

Sir Face

Curious, this is or isn't backlit? Backlit I'll take one now and replace my Type 2, otherwise gonna wait.

I've really been waiting on this one. I just ordered it and was told by the Live Chat girl "Jena" that it would ship out that day (March 19) if ordered now. Unfortunately though, there is no backlight. That seems like a step ass-backwards. I suppose there's minimal room inside for LED's since it's full of battery.

carpecervisi

Too many conflicting details. You'd think they should be able to confirm backlight or not if this thing drops in a week.

**edit**

Just got off a chat with "Elliott" and he confirms "no backlight".

You: at 8:21:33
so the question I have (and many others) is this thing actually backlit or not?

Elliot: at 8:22:01
The Power Cover will not be backlit.

You: at 8:22:28
Okay, cool. thanks for the confirmation...and soul crushing disappointment ;)

Last edited:

NGC

I prefer no backlit keyboard. I also prefer my Type 1 keyboard. If the weight isn't extreme I want one.

Nuspieds

The first thing I also researched was the backlight capability and, for me, no backlight means no deal.

WMS Kronus

I have a SP1 and backlit keys is not a luxury I have with my current keyboard so it won't be a factor. The addition of a battery is nice, but $200 for a piece of plastic with buttons and a battery is overpriced. It should come with Bluetooth capability.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

If it was backlit it would mean the extra battery life wasn't as effective, so I can totally see why they done it. Out of interest, I've never required a backlit keyboard, what uses do people have for them... typing on your Surface at night without the light on or something?

Unfortunately it wouldn't help me because of an eye condition I have :(

bamaster

Not backlit? No buy from me.

Backlit feature is easily disabled for those that want to squeak out every minute of battery life. For me, I want it on.

kundas1

Out of interest, I've never required a backlit keyboard, what uses do people have for them... typing on your Surface at night without the light on or something?

Unfortunately it wouldn't help me because of an eye condition I have :(

There is TONS of people who lay in bed before sleeping and don't keep the lights on you know as to not bother their partner LOL YOU'RE THE MINORITY I guess