What's new

1.1 billions revenue this quarter! surface pro 3 rocks!

CrippsCorner

Strangely it's been the other way round for me, I've seen some original Surface Pro's out there in the wild but am yet to see a Surface Pro 3! Shame... I'm certainly a lot more confident recommended the later I must admit. I know the originals had their faults (been running one since release date so know all their 'personalities' shall we call it) but you really can't knock the latest model.

Surprisingly though I was speaking to my cousin on Christmas day who'd always been anti-Apple...

He's just bought a MacBook Pro! What a let down lol, can't hold it against him though they're awesome machines as well.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It really is catching on....the more people i show mine to, the more they are aware and thinking about getting one. Where as before.....they were apple only

I've experienced the same thing. Most people in my tutor group, many of whom are mac users, have now expressed a desire to buy one having seen me use it with the pen. My older brother is also a mac lover, but just yesterday expressed his desire for one if his work would let him choose his device.

ptrkhh

Change the logo to Apple, then all apple fans will buy one.
And this is the template that all tech media sites will follow:

The first time I got my hands on it, I still remember the first words I said, "Wow, this is impossible.". How could anybody pack Core i7 inside something this thin and light. Half of the weight of the MacBook Air, unbelievable. What blew me away even more is when I found out that it is as thin as the iPad 4 while still providing the all-day battery life it deserves. There is a reason why people are buying Apple products, those are simply impossible by others' standard.

The optional Smart Keyboard is a smart accessory that turns this innocent tablet into a proper MacBook replacement. Yes, that's right, you don't need a MacBook anymore as this machine is fully loaded, not only with the MacBook's hardware, but also the full suite of OS X operating system that you use on your iMac. With just $130 for the Smart Keyboard, you already own a MacBook disguised in a tablet. Pretty smart and neat. More importantly though, it still makes a better laptop than a cheap Windows laptop that you would buy otherwise, and still costing more than this keyboard.

Packing the full punch of MacBook internals, the MacPad weighs 800gr, definitely heavier than the iPad Air, but practically it is just as light. The reason behind it is because it packs a new feature called Smart Stand. Lets be honest, your iPad is now enclosed inside a case because you need the iPad to stand somehow, but this MacPad kills it. This is the first tablet in the world that you can use without any additional cases. Since Smart Stand opens to a variety of angles, it is just as versatile as the MacBook. In fact, it opens to larger angle than the MacBook, making it even more versatile in this particular case.

But there's another reason why it weighs more than the iPad. Just like the iPad Air that is heavier than the smaller iPad Mini, the MacPad Air is heavier for the same reason. The screen is larger at 12". They thoughtfully picked the perfect balance between 9.7" in the iPad Air and the 13.3" MacBook Air. But the size is not the only thing that they managed to get right. The main star here is the aspect ratio. At 3:2, it is the perfect balance between the two. Compared with the 13" MacBook, even though it is smaller diagonally, it is actually taller, so it feels larger, yet still as comfortable as my iPad Air in portrait mode. Right after all Android OEMs finished copying the 4:3 aspect ratio, they pushed the industry with a new standard to be copied again.

But the MacPad Air is so much more than just a MacBook and iPad fused together. It is one step more powerful than both devices combined. The MacPad Air has the pen input functionality which was popularized by third-party accessories such as the very successful Adonit Jot stylus. The implementation is now officially supported, and perfected. It opens up a new possibilities that the iPad and MacBook combo haven't delivered. The pen features an iNote button at the top. When you press that button, it opens the iNote app, ready for you to jot down notes. Normally, you would need to go back to the homescreen, launch the app, and press a New Note button. Now, one click of a button is all you need to jot down your next idea wherever, whenever you are. Yes, even if the MacPad is asleep, pressing the top button would serve you immediately with a blank canvas to write on. It is just as intuitive as the real pen and paper. I believe that this is Apple's second revolution, after the original iPhone, and they did it in the same way. The introduced such futuristic devices in a way that's familiar for everyone, by making it familiar to real life objects that we interact with on day-to-day basis.

The iNote app itself, formerly called Notes, has received a massive update this year. It can now be organized like a real book with sections and pages, as well as the pen input that I just mentioned. It is now a proper book replacement. This is the tight integration between hardware and software that only Apple can deliver.

To put it short, if you can afford it, MacPad Air is simply the device that you have to buy right now.

Apple just set a new standard that Google and Microsoft would have to play catchup, again.