What's new

32 GB version enough?

Saftis

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 20% discount offer, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the 32GB or 64GB version.

As i have a NAS and other computers, I'm not planning on using it for storing lots of pictures or recording videos.

What are your experiences from everyday use with the 32GB version, is it enough? Does extending it with a SDXC card integrate "seamlessly" like on Android devices (it just switches install drive for new apps/picture location etc. to the sdcard when the phone runs out of free space), and is it noticably slower than the SSD?

Can you dump the recovery partition onto a usb stick, and how much disk space do you free up by doing that?

Thanks.

You can dump the recovery portion onto a flash drive. I can't tell you how much it frees up because I'm waiting on my first 3.0 drive to come in the mail tomorrow! :D

beman39

I have a 32gb and I find it fine, although more is always better lol and as for the SD card it doesn't act like android where everything just dumps to the SD card once inserted, but you can SET your photos/music/documents to save to the SD card automatically, think of it this way, the Surface RT is a lot like a laptop the way it behaves just to give you a better inclination of how the Surface RT works but you CANOT install legacy apps

ctitanic

The problem with 32 is that soon you will see more games coming and those take a lot of space and unless you hack the device there is not anyway to install Apps in the microSD. So, if you can afford it, get the 64.

oion

The problem with 32 is that soon you will see more games coming and those take a lot of space and unless you hack the device there is not anyway to install Apps in the microSD. So, if you can afford it, get the 64.

You're assuming the OP wants to install a whole bunch of app games.

@OP: Since you're not planning on using it for storing lots of pictures or recording videos and can make use of the microSD and USB ports, 32GB is fine--I had a 32GB RT and my primary use was web surfing and document creation (Word especially) with PDF references, and Office docs plus PDF files don't take up a lot of space. And yes, you free up a bunch of space if you move the recovery to a USB thumb drive. And yes, you can move the "default" save folders onto the microSD card to save even more space.

EMINENT

I debated this as well before I got my 32. I'm not a big gamer though. I have a few games already like Halo, Temple, and Asphalt etc. What I did was looked at all the apps on my Surface Pro and how much space they took up. 32 was more than enough and with 200 added to my old 25gb, this was more than enough to store my music collection and more. I use Plex to stream all my terabytes of movies from my pc anywhere i'm at.

Understandably if you're not near wifi or have a limited data plan, having a slot for 64 more would be handy for some movies where you'd still have if you upgraded your device later on.

rubaxter

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 20% discount offer, and I'm having a hard time deciding between the 32GB or 64GB version.

As i have a NAS and other computers, I'm not planning on using it for storing lots of pictures or recording videos.

What are your experiences from everyday use with the 32GB version, is it enough? Does extending it with a SDXC card integrate "seamlessly" like on Android devices (it just switches install drive for new apps/picture location etc. to the sdcard when the phone runs out of free space), and is it noticably slower than the SSD?

Can you dump the recovery partition onto a usb stick, and how much disk space do you free up by doing that?

Thanks.

32Gb is enough IF YOU NEVER PLAN ON FINDING NEW USES OR CHANGING YOUR HABITS... (not shouting like a parent, just wanted to highlight)

I usually get more than I think I'll use because new uses always appear and person situations change. With a 64 Gb Surface2, I've put all my media files on the SD card and have 43 Gb on the Surface and 8.24 Gb on the card. Haven't found any performance hits or sharing issues, like there used to be on the SurfaceRT.

However, that 43Gb means I don't have to dump stuff immediately to the SD, can use default setting for apps like news aggregators for saving documents, all while having space in case of a trip outside of friendly WiFi range and wanting to add extra multi-media at greater than looking-through-frosted-glass bit rates. Makes everything a never-mind when saving files.

Last edited:

hypokondriak

Thanks.

I'm like you I have a NAS, 200GB Skydrive, and I have the technical understanding of how AppX products work so I can easily redirect things to flash if I ever want to. Paying a $100 fee for 32GB more of flash, which is a commodity, is a waste of money for someone with my skillset.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

oion

I'm like you I have a NAS, 200GB Skydrive, and I have the technical understanding of how AppX products work so I can easily redirect things to flash if I ever want to. Paying a $100 fee for 32GB more of flash, which is a commodity, is a waste of money for someone with my skillset.

I'm under the impression too that unless the OP is an app fiend, 32GB is quite enough (that's, what, 17-18 free?) given what he already has. That said, the 32GB would have been enough for me too, but (1) I could afford the 64GB easily and (2) higher spec always has better resale value.

hypokondriak

I'm under the impression too that unless the OP is an app fiend, 32GB is quite enough (that's, what, 17-18 free?) given what he already has. That said, the 32GB would have been enough for me too, but (1) I could afford the 64GB easily and (2) higher spec always has better resale value.

1) I can afford 64GB easily, and 2) Microsoft's margins are still better in my pocket than theirs.

oion

1) I can afford 64GB easily, and 2) Microsoft's margins are still better in my pocket than theirs.

I don't get your second thing. My point is that I can resell at a higher rate and get more money back on any higher spec device.

BillJ

I remember when PC's were still using floppy disks, I had the option of spending $700 for a 10 Mb hard drive. People asked me how I could ever think I would need so much storage. Somehow it made me feel powerful to have such a mighty device, but in all honesty, I never did use it to its full extent. It makes logical sense to match one's electronic tools to specific needs. There are strong emotional factors to consider as well, which are more difficult to quantify or describe.