Acer W3 Official

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by quadtronix, Jun 3, 2013.

1. quadtronix

quadtronix Member

Hey all... Was interested in your thoughts on the new Acer W3 announced at Computex today.

Acer Iconia W3 official: the first 8-inch Windows 8 tablet launches this month for $379 (hands-on)

it's an 8" tablet running full Windows 8 on an intel processor. Personally though, I think the Surface mini is gonna blow this thing away! LOL. :p

I am a fan of 7-8" tablets and was intrigued by this device when it first leaked but I think I will wait for the Surface mini or a Haswell small tablet because at $380 and with a questionable build quality I don't know that I can get behind this device. Also Asus and HTC are rumored to be planning smaller Windows 8/RT tablets soon... So for now I'm just gonna see where things go with this form factor. But what do you all think?

2. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Well it's got that Acer Ugly thing going on. A white bezel on a tablet? Seriously?

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

3. tonyz3

tonyz3 New Member

maybe manvex will make a case to cover the white bezel... yuck. :wink: I got agree with Mitch on this one-( wait what did i just say ) hits head on table. But you are smart to wait i think they will have many more options down the road. Like was mentioned in another thread---i would like to see a leggy blond in a jag holding a surface pro RT with a digital screen. around 8 inch.

4. quadtronix

quadtronix Member

Hahaha! It IS ugly isn't it? Also thick and plastic! Plus I was reading that it has terrible viewing angles and dull colors. Add to that: the fact that full Windows on a small tablet might not be the most comfortable thing in desktop mode. Oh well... I think options are always good and I can see the 8" form factor having potential for RT devices (at least), but maybe another OEM will do a better job at implementing it.

5. ArnoldC

ArnoldC New Member

I prefer a 7" Windows RT tablet :)

6. mitchellvii

mitchellvii Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    IMHO they should leave small tablets to Windows RT where it can compete with Android. The future of Windows 8 is hybrids with Intel processors.

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

7. pallentx

pallentx New Member

I think there is room for RT on full-sized tablets as long as there is a price and battery life difference. At $500 vs the Surface Pro's $900 price tag, RT was a no-brainer for me since I don't have a need for legacy apps on my portable. RT competes fine with Android simply because its Windows. When the app store for Windows 8 modern apps gets more populated with quality apps, it will be an even stronger competitor. I have not been impressed at all with Android tablets and their mostly blown-up phone apps.