What's new

After latest windows update action center no longer shows SMS from my phone (Lumia 950)

Emka Zwo

Usually when you receive an SMS on the phone a notification pops up on the desktop and the action center of the Surface as well. After the latest cumulative update this is no longer the case.

I already checked all imaginable settings. Everything is switched on that should affect this feature.

Does anyone know a solution? Maybe a windows service that runs in the background that needs to be manually restarted...

Regards
Michael
(SP4 - i5 - 8GB)

Philtastic

I also had this happen on my Android phone. It turned out that the setting for SMS no longer worked in the Cortana app so I just enabled individual app notifications and selected the messenger (SMS) app. Now SMS notifications show up on both my desktop and SP4 but I can't send a reply from them.

So, basically, Microsoft broke Cortana SMS.

Philtastic

Well they are Insider Builds :) Did you submit the bug in the feedback app?
I actually didn't end up enabling Insider Builds on either my SP4 or desktop due to not generally liking beta software instability. I'm also not sure if the problem is with Windows 10 or their Android Cortana app.

OP
E

Emka Zwo

At least I figured out a workaround: I installed the latest Skype Apps for my phone and the surface. Then I activated the Skype SMS Sync in the Skype Settings. I had to activate it by typing in a code displayed in the settings. Further I set Skype as the default SMS App on my phone. Now the sms notifications are are back on my desktop via Skype.

Philtastic

At least I figured out a workaround: I installed the latest Skype Apps for my phone and the surface. Then I activated the Skype SMS Sync in the Skype Settings. I had to activate it by typing in a code displayed in the settings. Further I set Skype as the default SMS App on my phone. Now the sms notifications are are back on my desktop via Skype.
It's hoops like this that really aggravate me about Microsoft software.

Your original post reminded me that I needed to update my mom's Windows phone to Windows 10 because it's supposed to be a big improvement over 8.1. I did that without a hitch and everything seemed fine until she started sending emails. The "From" field on the recipient's end no longer uses the display name that she picked and shows her email address instead. I tried modifying the display name setting and even deleted the email account and re-added it but neither fixed it. As Jnjroach advised, I went to give Microsoft some feedback on this problem: I discovered that this has been a problem for at least the past 3 months.

Great job, Microsoft, screwing up basic functionality and not fixing it. More and more, I'm getting to the point where I don't trust Microsoft to make a competent anything.