What's new

Anniversary Edition License problem

seyclone

About 3 weeks ago my Surface started to display messages every hour or so that my current license was no longer valid and that I should enter a valid license code. When I went to the activate window I was told that I had some kind of corporate license and I would have to contact my administrator.

My Surface was purchased from Best Buy in January 2015 and all upgrades since then have been totally legitimate. I upgraded to Win 10 Anniversary Edition as soon as it was available. I did some checking on-line and there seemed to be a few complaints about this condition, but no working remedies.

So, I took the bull by the horns and went down to the local Microsoft store and spoke to the techies there. They had no idea! However, they did ask me to leave the Surface with them. They thought that it might take 2 - 3 days to get an answer from the Mother Ship and I would get a call as soon as it was fixed.

Sure enough, 2 days later I got a call to put up the unit. They said that somewhere in my upgrade path the license info had been garbled and the license had defaulted to a corporate license which couldn't be confirmed. They fixed the error and everything now works.

Has anybody had this experience?