What's new

Are you going to install 8.1 preview on your surface?

Are you going to install 8.1 preview on your surface?

• Yes

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

Ruffles

I'll definitely upgrade once it's finished. Although, since I've got Macrium Reflect and can easily image my surface, I may give the preview a try.

EuroKnuter

It seems like Windows 8.1 is just like a Service Pack to me and waiting for the official release will not require a reinstalling all your stuff. Preview builds always require reinstalling the official version, when it's finally released, from scratch. I think I am gonna wait it out.

Ditto, I use my surface all day everyday so I'd rather just upgrade to 8.1 when it's ready instead of futzing with it.

Russ

I will try it on another pc first and see I guess. Will probably install it on my surface eventually. :p

Omni --

Same plan here. I have other PCs that I keep around just for trying out new software. I will put it on my Pro when it's RTM.

Regards,
Russ

MaxSurface

Omni --

Same plan here. I have other PCs that I keep around just for trying out new software. I will put it on my Pro when it's RTM.

Regards,
Russ

I forgot about my desktop computer that has extra drives installed in it and even has a 128gb SSD drive just sitting there doing nothing. I can install the preview of Windows 8.1 on that computer just to try it out. It's only a Core 2 duo processor, but it still should be able capable of running Windows 8.1 good enough for a test drive. :)

malberttoo

They are actually building some cool functionality into 8.1... It is going to be FAR more than a pacification attempt. And for those that believe they ARE going to be pacified, you can forget it.

Big whoop if they bring the Start Button back. There's still going to be no Start MENU, which is what I missed the most. Truly, the pacification pat of 8.1 is all flash and extremely little substance!

Modern Business in Mind: Windows 8.1 at TechEd 2013

tonyz3

They are actually building some cool functionality into 8.1... It is going to be FAR more than a pacification attempt. And for those that believe they ARE going to be pacified, you can forget it.

Big whoop if they bring the Start Button back. There's still going to be no Start MENU, which is what I missed the most. Truly, the pacification pat of 8.1 is all flash and extremely little substance!

Modern Business in Mind: Windows 8.1 at TechEd 2013
yikes yep look out for what pacifier you ask for. stewie2218814qr.gifthCA6DFEJF.jpg

dlacaba

I'll wait until it's official. I just did another reset which fixed my main issues so I'm in no rush to do that all over again.

DOS

I thought the Final Version was supposed to be released in October, but this preview version was supposed to be released this month...

malberttoo

The preview hits June 26th, same day that Microsoft's Developer Conference starts.

BE WARNED though, if you install the preview, then you will have to re-install all your apps when the RTM is available. So, install 8.1 (beta) now, and do a clean install when 8.1 RTM is released.

Or if you wait until 8.1 RTM (which I am doing), just simply install it, and no re-installation of anything else on your system will be necessary.