What's new

Audio Problems - Help Please

uk_martin

I'm looking for a spot of help please to get some decent sounds out of my Surface Pro 4.

My current configuration is this:
Surface Pro 4 with the i7 chip
Docking station with both video outputs linking to 2 x monitors
USB3 socket on docking station linking to 7 Port USB3 hub.
USB2 connection to my old Epson Scanner
Wireless connection to Synology 415+ NAS for lots of storage space.
Wireless connection to Synology Epson Printer.
Bluetooth connections to several devices.

Where I am failing is with my Audio output. I have an old Pro-Logic 5.1 Surround Sound system that connects via a 2.5mm jack plug and flat twin cable, much like earphones / headphones would. This worked well on my old PC which under older Windows systems gave me the choice to output to 5 speakers.

Sadly, The Surface Pro only allows for 2 speaker stereo, or so it would seem. I can connect the audio cable from the Docking Station to the Pro Logic Surround Sound system, but all I get are the Left & Right channels, but no sub-woofer, no "centre" and most conspicuously not much in the way of vocals (see "no centre")

Firstly, are there any improved audio drivers that can offer up 5 speaker output? (ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver is of interest but it all looks a bit technical for me)

Secondly, bearing in mind that both my mini display ports are in use, how else can I get 5.1 surround sound? I've tried a Bluetooth to stereo adapter to export Bluetooth audio (Bluetooth Receiver, TaoTronics Portable Wireless Audio: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics) , but that didn't work.

I have an external sound card on order (5.1 Channel USB 2.0 External to 3D Sound Card Audio: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics) but I'm not holding my breath.

Are there any other options that I should be looking at if the external sound card does not work?

Thanks in advance.