What's new

Battery charging Problem, New firmware?

Arizona Willie

Nevermind ... I got it to run ... my dumbazz mistake.

Did have to move the report file to the desktop to get it to open in a browser through.
For some reason apparently you cannot open a .html file that resides in System32.

Considering how much capacity my battery has lost in 9 months, I'm wondering how long it is going to last.
And, what happens when the battery craps out and won't recharge any more?

Same problem here. All was fine before the update on Dec 12. Battery shows "plugged in, not charging". I did all the tips advised on here, nothing worked. I took it to the MS store, they tested it out with their cable, same problem. They would like to keep it to send to the factory for diagnosis. Hopefully it won't take too long before I get it back.

Swissmorgy

Any ideas why there is no capacity information in my report? It just says mWh :nerd:

¨COMPUTER NAME MORGYSURFACE
SYSTEM PRODUCT NAME Microsoft Corporation Surface Pro 2
BIOS 2.04.0250 11/08/2013
OS BUILD 9600.16452.amd64fre.winblue_gdr.131030-1505
PLATFORM ROLE Slate
CONNECTED STANDBY Not supported
REPORT TIME 2013-12-16 21:57:25
Installed batteries
Information about each currently installed battery
BATTERY 1
NAME X863568
MANUFACTURER LGC_LGC
SERIAL NUMBER 1F11
CHEMISTRY LION
DESIGN CAPACITY mWh

Battery capacity history
Charge capacity history of the system's batteries
PERIOD FULL CHARGE CAPACITY DESIGN CAPACITY
2013-10-23 - 2013-10-30 mWh mWh
2013-10-30 - 2013-11-06 mWh mWh
2013-11-06 - 2013-11-13 mWh mWh
2013-11-13 - 2013-11-20 mWh mWh

Swissmorgy

I had a similar problem. Mine was charging but the indicator was stuck at 7%. Try this (for Pro only):

1. Shut down.
2. Hold vol + and power button for 15 sec. Surface logo may flash etc. but don't let go for 15 sec.
3. Let go of both buttons
4. wait 10 secs.
5. Press power button to start up.

This fixed my problem.

Weird thing is that this fix does not help permanently on my Surface. After about a day it was back in that same mode where battery charging is no longer recognized and I had to go though these steps again.

Joypat

I had a similar problem. Mine was charging but the indicator was stuck at 7%. Try this (for Pro only):

1. Shut down.
2. Hold vol + and power button for 15 sec. Surface logo may flash etc. but don't let go for 15 sec.
4. wait 10 secs.

This fixed my problem.

Im getting rubbish information from my charging status bar too and I found out it was just software related issues however this tip made the trick for me now and its charging correctly for now but I'll probably end in the same situation again soon as some of you guys. Also I noted that I lost around 1000mW, not sure how the loss of mW should be looked at for Li-on battery still this new (1½ month old)

godson594

1. Shut down.
4. wait 10 secs.

This fixed my problem.

This worked for me. Thanks for posting!

My Windows update don´t show the firmware update anymore. (I haven´t install it)

Yep, Microsoft have pulled the update. No word on helping those who already have it though:
System Firmware Update - 12/10/13 fails to install - Microsoft Community

.Josh_F replied on December 19, 2013
Microsoft Forum Moderator

To ensure the best experience for our customers during the holiday season, we have taken steps to remove the update for Surface Pro 2 that was previously published through Windows Update on December 10th, 2013. We are working to release an alternative update package after the holidays.

G-man

Okay, this is strange. My Surface 2 Pro was up to date as of this week, now I see a System Hardware Update dated 10/24/2013 being offered. Maybe they are allowing people who received the faulty update to go back?

Thoughts? Install???

bluegrass

1. Shut down.
4. wait 10 secs.

This fixed my problem.

What I gotta know is how in the flip did you come up with such an esoteric idea to fix a battery charging problem? Is there Microsoft site somewhere, that posts information like that?

Okay, this is strange. My Surface 2 Pro was up to date as of this week, now I see a System Hardware Update dated 10/24/2013 being offered. Maybe they are allowing people who received the faulty update to go back?

Thoughts? Install???

My Windows update showed the same for a while after starting the system. But when i manually searched for updates it was gone every time. And now windows update doesn't show it anymore.

Joypat

Thoughts? Install???

I installed it G-man, its not been there before and I uninstalled the last firmware manually and afterwards didnt see any updates so I believe its a "reverse fix" until the Holidays are over, but I'll post again in a couple of days if its good or no good.

Update: http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-pulls-faulty-surface-pro-2-firmware-update-7000024477/ , not saying that a new update is out so im not quite sure how to see that 24-10-13 one..

Last edited: