What's new

Best 21.5" monitor?

CrippsCorner

Been looking at getting a new monitor to extend my Surface to. I'm not really one for big monitors so would like to keep the size at 21.5" :)

I've had a look around and it seems an IPS panel is the one to go for, I'd also like a thin bezel and good contrast ratio! Anything else important to look out for? I was looking at these two primarily...

Asus VX229H 22" Widescreen AH-IPS LED Multimedia Monitor - Black [90LM00K0-B01670]

iiyama Prolite XU2290 22" Widescreen Slim Bezel LED Multimedia Monitor - Black [XU2290]

Anything from Dell worth considering too? I don't think they do their 'UltraSharp' range in anything less than 23" though which is a shame...

leeshor

I have probably sold 100 of those ASUS monitors in the last 4 months and way way more over the last year. It's a great value, really good image, has all the connectors anyone could want and speakers. Haven't had one failure.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

That's great to hear! I think the iiyama looks slightly better in its design but before I was recommended that one, I had never actually heard of the brand!

There's an LG one I found that seems decent too but I think the ASUS is the leader in terms of specifications :)

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Well it's pay day so I pulled the trigger on the ASUS! Looking forward to a slightly bigger monitor especially as I have an eye operation later on today...
shocked.png

leeshor

The only bad thing about that monitor is actually the unpacking. Getting all the plastic protection off is a pain. You need to do it too. Takes 3x longer to unpack than to set up.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

You don't mean on the actual screen, right?

Anyway I got one but it was wonky! :( lol... every time you fully tightened the screw up it tilted slightly. I put it on several surfaces and measured an average of 7mm difference from each end to the surface it was standing on.

I've seen it back for a replacement. Might seem pedantic to some but when everything else is straight... it's kind of annoying. Learnt a great tip too, don't buy from Ebuyer! Their customer service for returns is terrible.

leeshor

That is a total surprise to me. Never seen that before. It's the cleat plastic sheeting that covers all the shiny black plastic parts that's the pain.

Tsurugaya

iiyama has been around forever. They were more of a player back in the days before LCD.

Yeah, they were always first with biggest available CRT. Now, their LCD monitors are usually Tue best bang for the buck, but that price policy may be restricted to Asian markets.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Well I got my replacement... and it is also wonky! :(

Kind of disappointed with ASUS. It's slightly better at around 4mm but it was such a hassle for them to take the other one back I think I'm just going to have to learn to live with it.

Oh well. Still, in general the screen looks very good.