What's new

Blizzard is Considering Porting Starcraft and Other Titles to Mobile

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
starcraft-box-logo.jpg

For any of you folks who view gaming on PCs fondly (either currently or in the past), this latest news might be a nice bit of nostalgia. According to Blizzard president and co-founder Michael Morhaime, senior vice president and co-founder Frank Pearce, and senior vice president Chris Metzen, the gaming company is considering porting their Starcraft franchise to the Mobile world.

So far, Blizzard's greatest (and only) success on the mobile platform is the Hearthstone collectible digital card game for Android and iOS. Beyond their focus on that product the executives shared they are not working on any new IP for mobile, but they are toying around with the idea of porting older Blizzard titles. Their first example was the ultra-successful Starcraft RTS.

They had a great deal more to say during the session, including that the company does not intend to focus on VR for some time. Feel free to check out more at the source link below.

Who else thinks Starcraft, Diablo or Warcraft would be awesome on a tablet or smartphone?

Source: VentureBeat

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it would be terrible personally. I don't quite see how they'd easily be able to implement the rapid selection of groups, a vital aspect of any RTS. Or maybe they plan to dumb it down like every other mobile game out there so that 5 year olds can play it. Some games use mouse and keyboard or a controller for a good reason.

To quote nvidia.. the way it's meant to be played.

Yillbs

I think it would be terrible personally. I don't quite see how they'd easily be able to implement the rapid selection of groups, a vital aspect of any RTS. Or maybe they plan to dumb it down like every other mobile game out there so that 5 year olds can play it. Some games use mouse and keyboard or a controller for a good reason.

To quote nvidia.. the way it's meant to be played.

All about that money. Even if they did dumb it down, what would it matter, you don't have to play it :)